Too Much Removed from First Rhinoplasty. Can the Nose Be Built Up?

10 months ago I paid $10,000 for open rhinoplasty in Sydney, Australia. The result was terrible and i feel that the doctor gave me his standard cookie-cutter nose.There are uneven gouges in the nose. On the left side there is a big scoop/impression where cartilage is obviously missing. I asked for a straight nose but got a ski slope nose with a big tip. Can my nose be built up again in the mid section bigger & straighter? So much was removed but i don't want artificial fillers in there.

Secondary Rhinoplasty for Saddle Nose

+3

The over resected dorsum/middle vault can be built up with cartilage. The donor source of the cartilage would depend on the size of the saddle nose and how much cartilage is needed. At 10 months after your procedure, you can consider a revision at any time.

Too Much Removed During First Rhinoplasty

+2

Two-thirds of the rhinoplasties I do are revisions of previous work that was done before I saw the patient where frequently too much was removed. I use the patients own cartilage to improve form and function. See a specialist experienced in revision surgery.

Unhappy after rhinoplasty

+2

You can certainly have additional surgery to change your nose but it would probably be best to wait a full year. It can take that long for all of the swelling to leave the tip of the nose. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Hayden.

The nose can be "built up" again using your own cartilage.

If your case shows no room to harvest septal cartilage, then other areas as the rib and the ear could serve as autologous graft sites.

However, it is noteworthy to mention that corrective rhinoplasties are of a delicate nature and only surgeons with reputable certifications (board certifications) and extensive experience are the best to be considered for such a delicate task.

I recommend that you research your surgeons pretty well and seek consultations with the ones of your choice to be able to make a well informed decision.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

A bad nose job can be fixed, but it is difficult surgery.

+1

After the swelling has completely subusided (a year or more), a revisional rhinoplasty can be undertaken.  Often this involves introducing grafts of one kind or another.  In the mean time, your nose can be altered with temporary injectible material.