Solution for Misplaced Chin Implant?

I had a chin implant 9 years ago, when I smile its seems to be without form, like flat. And after X-rays I noticed that the implant is placed higher up where it should be (close to my teeth). A doctor told me it would be very laborious, because it would be two operations, one to remove the chin implant which would remain a hole, wait 3-6 months to heal the skin and the second to put the new implant from under the chin. Is there another solution? Thanks!

Chin implant can be removed and replaced at the same time

+1

The implant can be removed and either a new one placed in a proper position or even the existing one can be used. Can be done in one session; not unlike what breast surgeons do when they remove and replace breast implants.

Just last week we had a misplaced chin implant case that seems identical to yours and that is how we did it.

However, before any surgery is contemplated, you need a very careful evaluation, possibly including some special x-rays because it is possible that Nature has grown some new bone around the implant making removal and replacement more challenging. Your surgeon needs to be prepared to deal with all possible situations encountered.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Misplaced chin implant

+1

It would be easier to give you a more precise answer if I could examine you. Based on your description, I would recommend removing the implant, allowing to adhere the tissues and then replacing the implant based on the new measurement. The other option is to keep observing it and re-evaluating it in a year.

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Misplaced chin implant

+1

Listen to the two previous expert posters and seek other opinions in person. Sometimes it may take a few minor operations to achieve the desired result. Other times only one operation is needed. From MIAMI Dr. B

Removing and replacing a chin implant

+1

It is difficult to make a recommendation without knowing more details about the procedure and type of implant. If it is removed below your chin and replaced with an implant that is fixed to the bone, it could potentially be completed in one operation. There may be other valid reasons why your surgeon chose to have recommended two procedures.

Correction of Chin Implant deformity

+1

Regarding: "misplaced chin implant?  I had a chin implant 9 years ago, when I smile its seems to be without form, like flat. And after X-rays I noticed that the implant is placed higher up where it should be (close to my teeth). A doctor told me it would be very laborious, because it would be two operations, one to remove the chin implant which would remain a hole, wait 3-6 months to heal the skin and the second to put the new implant from under the chin. Is there another solution? Thanks!"

Not all chin implants are created equal nor are all implants equally suited for all chins. One lateral view photograph is not sufficient to fully advise you on your next step since the positioning of a chin implant or performing a sliding genioplasty (using a piece of your chin to augment it) depend on the height of the chin and its relation to the rest of the face.  From the side view you provided, you appear to have a Witch's Chin deformity, with drooping of the skin and accentuation of the under the chin fold.

There are several ways to correct this deformity but in my opinion there should be no need to multiple stages operations. You may wish to consult several other Plastic surgeons. Mexico has some outstanding Plastic surgeons.