Will Remove the Hump by Shaving. Will This Drop the Nose Tip? (photo)

hi...i want to have a nose job but just to correct the hump , i don't want a make over...the doctor wants to raise the hump and he's telling me that it drops when i smile and it needs to be raised...should i go for because i don't really hate it plus i feel that if i correct the hump it won't look that bad...also he wants to remove the hump by shaving it and my question where the extra skin above the hump will go???and will it drop the nose tip more??

Dorsal hump and nasal tip

+1

The tip of the nose will not drop by simple removal of a hump.  Once a large hump has been removed, osteotomies need to be performed to close the open roof deformity.  It is important to release the depressor septi ligament so that the nose tip does not pull down upon animation.  This will make the nasal tip static upon smiling.

Sometimes, all you need is a hump removal

+1

There are noses that only need a hump removal and others that may need more such as tip work. I find that only about 1 out of 5 people who ask for "just a hump" removal need just that. I good way to tell is to use computer imaging or even better, the new Vectra 3-D imaging. By removing a hump with the computer, if the nose looks better and what you want, then that's it! However, on many patients, reducing a hump and narrowing the bridge can make the tip look out of proportion. Computer imaging can show your nose both ways: with hump removal alone and hump along with tip work.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Nasal hump removal

+1

A hump removal is certainly reasonable and fairly straightforward.  Tip work does not have to be done if you do not want it or need it.

No problem with correcting hump

+1

Taking down the hump is a straightforward rhinoplasty.  if you like your tip, it's reasonable to just address the hump without altering the tip.  You may have some temporary tip edema (swelling), but once the nose is healed, you can expect an improved profile and no change to your tip.

Kenneth Yu, MD
Fort Walton Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Straight Forward Hump Removal

+1

I agree with Dr. Fleming.  A hump removal is a perfectly reasonable request and should be very achievable in your situation.  If you don't care to change other aspects of your nose, then you should not be pressured into it.  A properly done hump removal should have very little affect on the tip of the nose.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removing Nasal Hump

+1

Your hump can be removed without dropping the nasal tip. The skin above the hump will contract after surgery the same as it does when a person lose weight. You should have another consultation; as long as a patient like you has reasonable goals a person should do what they want - it is your face.