How Do You Remove the Fibrotic Tissue from a Lymphatic Limb Without Liposuction? (photo)

I suffer from Primary Lymphedema in my left lower leg. I was diagnosed in 2002. At my biggest this year my leg was 87 cm in diameter, having begun a PT treatment plan in March to get my leg down through Medicare my leg is now at 57 cm. I cannot get past 57 cm as I have a great amount of fatty protein and fibrotic tissue. I am looking to have lymphatic liposuction to remove this. Please explain to me how else I can remove this tissue and fat?

Liposuction for Lymphedema

+1

This can be considered in a multidisciplinary medical group in a university setting.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

How Do You Remove the Fibrotic Tissue from a Lymphatic Limb Without Liposuction?

+1

Best to seek treatment at University Plastic Surgery dept. than private practice PSs. Liposuction could be a very temporary help. Good luck 

Lymphedema and liposuction

+1

Thanks for your question -

You should be extremely careful proceeding with liposuction to manage lymphedema.  While it is not unheard of it typically will not provide a long term solution because it does not treat the primary cause (inadequate lymphatic drainage).  Improvements in circumference are typically short lived.

In addition lymphedema itself seriously increases your risk of wound healing complications AND INCREASES the chance for increased lymphedema (the cannula can injure the lymphatics and in most people this is inconsequential but in someone with compromised lymphatic return can make it worse).

Steven H. Williams, MD