How Do I Remove the Dark Spot from Around my Belly Button That the Surgical Tape Left? (photo)

The tape used to cover my belly button after my tummy tuck has left a dark spot/ring. I've used alcohol, baby oil, peroxide etc. and nothing works to remove it. What can I do to remove this ugly dark spot from around my belly button? It looks like a large square.

Skin hyperpigmentation from tape?

+2

It would be very unlikely that tape would cause a permanent area of pigment change.  At this point you could ask for a topical steroid to apply to the area to block the inflammatory process as this is most likely a post inflammatory hyperpigmentation process.  

Better photos please

+1

I can't see what you are talking about.  Could you please send more close-up photos of the problem.  Without close up photos we can't tell what you are calling hyper-pigmentation.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Dark Spot Around Belly Button After Tummy Tuck

+1

I recommend a topical product called "Biocorneum." My patients love this product. In fact, we often sell out of it (and no I am not linked to the product other than selling it). In addition, you can do Cordran tape. Your surgeon will have to write you a prescription for that though. Good luck!

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Treatment for dark scars after Cosmetic Surgery

+1

Something that is used to help with scarring after surgery and what I believe to be the most effective is a product called silicone gel sheeting. You can purchase this online and it is like a band aid that you wear on your incision and it will help to lighten and improve the appearance of your scar. You can also use a bleaching cream as well.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Dark Spot from Around my Belly Button

+1

I am having trouble identifying what you describe on the posted photos. Best would be to show this is person to your surgeon for advice. Sometimes hydroquinone works well on hyperpigmentation. 

All the best.