Can I Remove Temporary Crown Myself?

My dentist put a temp crown(no root canal) over the area(cavity was tiny) till the perm. is ready. Its been 9 days since i got the temp. and my tooth is still bothering me. I was fine 2 days after temp. but then the tooth started to become sensitive with hot or cold food. Now it bothers me even when im not eating. It pulsates like its got a pulse. The thing is, now a few of my other teeth are starting to feel the same way (pulsate). Why is that? I'm away and cant get to my doc. What do i do?

Removing Temporary Crown

+1

If the crown is loose then you can use the temporary material from a drug store, if you can not get to a dentist. It does sound like you may need a root canal on this tooth. However I have seen teeth get really sore from temporaries if the temporary does not fit the tooth well and there is enough prepared area exposed. Don't volunteer for a root canal until it is checked out to see if that is what you really need.

Littleton Cosmetic Dentist

Can I remove the temporary crowns myself?

+1

The short answer is yes. Most drug stores will have a product call dent-temp please becareful not to swallow the temps, also make sure you pay attention to put it back on the correct orientation, also clean all the old temporary cement out first and make sure you clean the excess cement off after it has set so your gums don't get sore. Also in most cases when you remove the temps the teeth maybe more sensitive good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD   CEO Baystate Dental PC.

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Pain under temporary crown

+1

It is questionable why the dentist decides to put a crown if the cavity was small. Was the tooth crowned before that? Currently you have typical symptoms of nerve inflammation which definitely will require the root canal treatment. You can remove the temporary crown, but less likely it will ease the pain. Try to contact your dental office and ask for antibiotic prescription till you will have a chance to see you dentist again. Also OTC Orajel can be a mild pain reliever if applied on the gum and around the tooth.

Miami Cosmetic Dentist

You can if it is loose.

+1

I'm confused as to why you needed a crown if the cavitiy was tiny. Unless we are missing some information you should have gotten a filling.

The symptom you are having is that of an irreversibly inflammed nerve inside the tooth. Likely you will need a root canal treatment. Taking off the crown may not help and may make it more painfull. If you can't get to a dentist, take over the counter pain meds (combine Ibuprophen and tylenol) and if you can get a hold of antibiotics then it will help too.

Good luck

Dr. T

Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Do NOT Remove Temporary Crown Yourself

+1

Sounds like the nerve in your tooth has been affected, requiring Root Canal Treatment. See a dentist ASAP for final diagnosis.

New York Cosmetic Dentist