Is It Too Soon to Remove the Splint Just 4 Days After Surgery?

I've recently had septorhinoplasty. I trust my doctor completely, he has plenty of experience and good reviews.. I had my surgery on the 4th and the splints supposed to be removed on the 8th. Is this too soon? I only ask because I've read plenty about the surgery before having it, and it surprises me that it's going to be done this soon. Should I be worried?

Splint Removal after Rhinoplasty?

+1

Is it is always best to ask specific questions/concerns of the surgeon who has done your procedure. There may be specific reasons he/she has for relatively early splint removal.

Cast removal following rhinoplasty

+1

Like any bone in the body, the broken nasal bones created in the osteotomies will take 4-6 weeks to heal.   A cast is placed over the "set" nasal bones and expected to remain undisturbed for 7 days.   Sometimes, 6 days, but mostly a week.  Often a cast may remain on for up to two weeks.

It is my opinion that the cast serves everal purposes:   stabilizes the nasal bones aiding them to heal straight, minimizing dorsal nasal swelling, protecting the nose from glasses, and protecting the healing nose from bumps and trauma.  Patients are encouraged to sleep in a near sitting postion to decrease the chance for sideways positioning  of the head during sleeping.   If one sleeps on one side, the nose may be shifted in that direction.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Depends on what was done. Go with your doc's rec

+1

Removing your splint early really depends on what exactly was done during your surgery.  I would suggest going with your doctor's recommendation.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Splint after septorhinoplasty

+1

I typically leave splints in place for 7 days, but the length of time really does vary depending on what was done during surgery. Splints can be removed earlier or kept in place longer depending on what was done.The best person to decide that is really your surgeon since he knows your surgery better than anyone else. You can always discuss your concern with your surgeon as well, but most likely it is okay.

Anita Patel, MD

Relax!!

+1

I would not be too worried.  In most cases you should be over the large part of the immediate swelling by then. Ask  your surgeon how he/she handles post-splint nasal moulding so that you can feel that you are a part of your successful recovery.

Warmest regards,

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Removing the splint after rhinoplasty

+1

Don't worry.  It is not too soon. The time may change per individual surgeon preference.  Do not be concerned.

Talmage J. Raine; MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

How to care for your rhinoplasty, cast removal

+1

I would trust your surgeon's opinion at all costs. He or she is highly qualified and knows more about your condition than anyone else. Truthfully the cast does little more than to support the tissues and reduce inflammation. You are correct that 4 days is on the shorter side for removal, but this is likely very appropriate in your individual case. Most importantly, always share your thoughts with your surgeon. You are partners in your care.

Todd Christopher Hobgood, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Splint removal after rhinoplasty

+1

The average duration of splint after rhinoplasty is about 7 days, however it is not uncommon to keep it for either shorter or longer time based on the specifics of the surgery.  It is great that you have a full trust for your doctor and I suggest to continue doing so. So if your doctor wants to remove your splint 4 days after your surgery he probably has good enough reason for it.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Timing of Splint Removal after Rhinoplasty

+1

If I have performed a Rhinoplasty that involved fracturing of the nasal bones to narrow the nose, I typically leave the splint on for 7-10 days. In a tip Rhinoplasty or simple dorsal nasal reduction I will usually use tape splinting and leave that on 5-7 days. The best approach is to ask your doctor about your concern. Best of Luck Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO