How Do I Remove Restylane Irregularities in Lips 5 Months After Injection?

I had restylane injected in my upper lip 5 months ago, I can feel lumps on the inside of my lip, one small visible one where the needle went in in the middle and an irregular appearance above my lipline. I went to a new surgeon to look at it, and he said there was no product left in there and that it could be scar tissue from bad technique. How can I get back to my pre restylane state, I wasn't to concerned about it, because i thought once the material absorbed it would go away...

Incision & drainage might be necessary

+3

Definitely at 5 months you could have an isolated "lump" of the injected filler and for that the best and quickest solution is to "lance" it with a #18 needle and manually compress out the excess filler. This could be strongly supported if the lump was there from the beginning. Hyaluronidase works well for diffuse overinjection in the lips or other areas

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Hyaluronidase to dissolve restylane in the lips

+3

I do not have the benefit to examine you and feel the structure and firmness of your lip compared with the surgeon who saw you in consultation, but your photograph demonstrates a lip that has lost its definition and this is consistent with persistent filler. Many of my patients show Restylane or Juvederm volume effect for more than one year after treatment, but the majority have it for about 8 to 10 months.  At five months and with the appearance of your photograph, I would suggest you see a doctor and ask about the safety and appropriateness of dissolving the Restylane with hyaluronidase.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/restylane/index.html

+3

Thanks for the posted photo. I have been studying it for a half hour. Your issue are very minor, but if they disturb you than you can try   Hyaluronidase injections or Kenalog injections. These MUST be done very carefully. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Restylane irregularities: what to do

+2

First of all, if one does not see it, then you do not have to do anything. Most who have irregularities feel them, but don't see them. If you have to make a real silly face to see them that you never make, again do nothing. If you do see them or just can't stand to feel them, I recommend the following:

1. Massage the area, which will help smooth things out--this may take 2-4 weeks.
  2. The lumps can be incised and the extra Restylane removed.
  3. The lumps can be injected with hyaluronidase to dissolve some Restylane
  4. Restylane can be injected between the lumps

In most cases, option 1 is all that is needed unless extremely poor injection technique was used.

Good luck.

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane can be dissolved with hyaluronidase

+2

One of the great things about Restylane is that it is reversable.  Restylane irregularities can be massaged away and dissolved with hyaluronidase.

Web reference: http://www.chelseaeye.com/inject1_cos.htm

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lip problem

+2

No question at 5 months the restalyne is all gone.  Any persistent problems relate to scar tissue formation. Whether kenalog or excision is best I could only say after an actual examination

Web reference: http://www.aventuraplasticsurgery.com

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane in the lip

+2

The hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane have significant longevity in the lip.  6-9 months and longer is not an uncommon length of time for Restylane to persist.  Hyaluronidase is an enzyme which can be injected where the unwanted Restylane remains.  Very quickly and easily the residual Restylane will be dissolved.

Sugar Land Dermatologic Surgeon

I would inject Hyaluronidase, then a steroid if necessary

+2

I would personally inject hyaluronidase into the concerning areas as Restylane can definitely last longer than 5 months in the lips. If the fullness does not resolve, then I would consider an injection of dilute steroid and aggressive massage. More than likely, your lip will return to it's pre-injection state. I have never seen "scarring" in the lip due to injections of Restylane, no matter what the technique is.

Andrew C. Campbell, M.D.

Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Web reference: http://campbellplastics.com

Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane for Lip Augmentation

+2

It is possible that you still have residual restylane in the lips, which can be causing you problem.  It is not uncommon for the product to last that long in some individuals.  If this is the case, injections of Hyaluronidase will help to dissolve the remaining Restylane.  If scar tissue is present, this may pose a more difficult dilemma.  Good Luck, Dr. Corrado

Web reference: http://www.dranthonycorrado.com/noninvasive/restylane.php

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane can be dissolved with hyaluronic acid

+1

You could definitely still have some Restylane in your lips after 5 months.  Your lips can be injected with hyaluronic acid, which will dissolve any remaining Restylane.  This will most likely take care of your irregularities.  If not, other modalities can be used.  I recommend having an evaluation for hyaluronic acid injection.

Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon