How Should I Remove a Raised Birthmark/mole the Size of a Pinky Fingerprint Located Near my Lip? (photo)

How should I remove a raised birthmark/mole the size of a pinky fingerprint located near my lip? As far as I know this is not cancerous, therefore I thought laser may be an option. If not, how bad would the scar be if I had it surgically removed? Should I see a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon?

Yes, you can remove that birthmark

+2

The birthmark on your lower lip region can be removed with excellent results.  The scar may be aligned with natural wrinkles in the face, namely the "marionette lines" adjacent to the mouth.  However, you should be aware of certain risks that may be associated.  Scarring potential is different between individuals.  You may have a thickened or slightly widened scar if you have that propensity.  Also, there is a slight risk of subtle pulling on the corner of your mouth along the lower lip.  The alternative to complete excision of the lesion is to only take out as much as can be closed without distortion of the lip.  Lasers are often insufficient in getting to the depth of the birthmark to obliterate it, and you may need many expensive sessions to simply lighten the mark.

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Mole removal

+1

An options would be to have the lesion completely surgically excised.  This can be done with good results.  I advise you see a board certified plastic surgeon for full evaluation. 

Birthmark Removal

+1

This type of birthmark is best removed surgically and since it is located near the lip area your physician can easily hid it in your marionette lines.

"Dr.D"

Web reference: http://www.capefearaesthetics.com/details/plastic+surgery-19/

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial mole or birthmark removal - photo

+1

Thanks for your question and photo!

I agree that your mole does not look cancerous, but I recommend having your mole surgically removed. I feel that this will give you more predictable results than laser and I do not feel that laser would be able to give you a result that could be considered "total removal".

The aim of surgery is to remove your mole completely in a way that minimises the appearance of scarring. All incisions heal with a scar and all patients have a different propensity to develop scars. However, pale facial skin commonly heals with a pale scar in the long term, and the position of your mole allows the scar to be oriented in the direction of the lines around the mouth (marionette lines).

The procedure can be done safely under local anaesthetic. The potential benefits of having the surgery done in two stages are best discussed with your treating surgeon.

Good luck!

JT

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Removal of birthmark adjacent to the lip

+1
Your birthmark can be removed surgically under local anesthesia and the incision lines made parallel to the natural lines of the face, where they will heal nicely. Consideration should be given to serial excision, in two stages, which would shorten the length of the ultimate scar.