Is It Possible to Remove Pregnancy Stretch Marks? (photo)

I am 44 years old, I am looking to remove my pregnancy related scars. What is the best way to go about it. My last pregnancy was in 1994.

Stretch Marks on Abdomen

+1

Unfortunately stretch marks cannot be removed by any non-surgical method. The only way they can be removed is through surgery. Stretch marks are caused because the skin is stretched beyond its capacity to recoil. Its like a rubber band that is over stretched and can never regain its original shortened length. Any laser that claims to tighten skin has not addressed the basic physiologic problem which is a dermis that is overstretched. The laser will however help the coloration but the stretch marks themselves will persist. You have to ask yourself if the goal is stretch mark removal or if its the discoloration that bothers you. Your best option is to have  tummy tuck. Any stretch marks above the umbilicus will likely not be removed. Visit with a plastic surgeon.

Treating stretch marks on the abdomen

+1

Although a tummy tuck will help remove stretch marks below the belly button, I have found that selective fractional laser skin resurfacing also works well for this area of stretch marks. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Three things you need to know about stomach stretch marks.

+1

Hi.

1)  Stretch marks below the belly button can be removed with tummy tuck.  So in your case, most of them would go.

2)  Stretch marks above the belly button are not removed with tummy tuck, BUT they are a lot less noticeable, because

a)  they are now way down towards the pubic area, and

b)  the skin is tight which makes the stretch marks less obvious.

3)  Non surgical treatments for stretch marks don't really work and you will be disappointed.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)