Should I Remove my Wisdom Teeth if my Molars Next to It is Decaying?

My dentist say I should remove wisdom teeth since they are impacting horizontally. He also suggest to get a crown on my molar next to wisdom tooth that has root canal and decay. He say I might need another root canal but say to put crown on it first before messing with the root. What would be the best thing to do? I'm scared to remove the wisdom tooth because I'm afraid of losing my molar. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Removing Wisdom Teeth next to Decaying Molar

+1

If the impacted wisdom tooth is up against the decaying molar, then you should definitely have it removed before trying to treat the molar.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Extract one, crown the other

+1

I agree with your dentist.  But these two things are independent of each other.  You need to remove that wisdom tooth since I am sure that is what contributed to your root decay on your neighboring molar.  It is not doing anything beneficial in your mouth, and is actually causing you problems.The decay and need for a crown (and Possible root canal) on the molar, has to be done, no matter what.  That decay is not going away on its own.  Your dentist is being conservative by not jumping right into the root canal.  With heavy root decay, you may not be able to save the molar, but this is your best chance to try.

Bradley Matthew, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Should I remove my wisdome teeth?

+1

In this case I agree with your dentist, extract the wisdom tooth and then 4-6 weeks after healing place the crown good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD    CEO Baystate Dental PC

Kevin Coughlin, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Wisdom tooth,removal, and decay of continous tooth

+1

when you have a wisdom tooth, for a long time making decay, to the continuous tooth, all the way to the nerve, my recommendation, would be ,sedation, extraction, of the wisdom tooth, and the second molar also, that tooth with root canal, sooner or later,will give you problems, anyway,so that way you can set 2 implants, there, and when you restore them,you will have 2 crowns, in the correct position, and making your bite even,

i think this will be a good solution for you, and you will have no further problems.

German Arzate, DDS, MS
Mexico Cosmetic Dentist