Is it possible to remove my nose implant? Will removing it cause further damage and scar tissue?

I had a nose job done a year and 7 months ago. My nose was implanted with some mersilene mesh on dorsom and tip and used some kind of plastic ribs to stretch the nose become pointier. The mersilene mesh shows through the skin and makes it red as well as difficulty breathing at night. I hate the look coz it looks bigger with hump and does not make me breath well while sleeping and I hate everything about the change of my nose and would like to undo everything, remove all those implants.

Mersilene mesh implant

+1
Yes, it should be possible to remove your nasal implants. It sounds like the mersilene may be either eroding through the skin or reacting with the skin. I prefer using cartilage for grafting. Your implant should be able to be removed and replaced with cartilage instead.

You can read more about bridge augmentation and see some before and after photos at my web reference link below.

Extruding implants

+1
It appears that your implants are extruding and ideally should be taken out and replaced by your own cartilage grafts

Sam Naficy, MD

Removing implant after #rhinoplasty

+1
From your description, it sounds as if the implant is either eroding through the skin or possibly infected. Normally, this would need to come out, but all of this must be confirmed in person by your physician. Consider consulting with your original surgeon to evaluate your nose. If he/she determines that the implant is involved, I would consider doing this before it erodes through the skin.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Mersilene mesh and rhinoplasty

+1
If you have synthetic product in your nose and your skin is red, it sounds like you need to have this removed.  You are at risk to potentially have s kin healing issues due to the adherence of the mesh to the skin and the redness of the skin. Good luck.

Removing nasal implant

+1
Removing an implant which has been in situ for years will present problems which vary depending on what type of implant. You will also return to your original profile so there will be a contour problem to deal with Sometimes an implant can be modified surgically without total removal.

Darryl J. Hodgkinson, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Removing Nasal Implants

+1
Hi,

Yes it is possible to remove nasal implants. It may be a challenge but possible. Many implants promote ingrowth into tissue thus making the removal difficult. See Video.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Is it possible to remove my nose implant?

+1
Yes, it is possible to remove the implants, although the mesh might be a little tough to get out. If the skin is getting red I think it would be best to do this sooner rather than later.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Nasal Implant Removal

+1

Tissue grows into Mersilene mesh and other porous implants. Therefore, removal of those type of implants can result in skin damage / thinning. Therefore if you want this removed, you should go to a provider who is experienced in revision rhinoplasty and advanced cartilage/fascia grafting techniques.

Michael Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal implant removal

+1
Nata: I am sorry you are having these problems. Mersilene mesh is difficult to remove from the nose as scar tissue can grow into it.  Silicone implants are easier to remove.  It is important that you go see someone who is expert at revision rhinoplasty.  Depending on how difficult the mesh is to remove, it could cause skin contour irregularities at the time or removal.  To rebuild your nose after implant removal, you will likely require rib cartilage grafting with temporalis fascia harvest from the scalp.  Best of luck. 

Garrett Griffin, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon