Can I Remove my Mole on my for Head with a Laser While Being 35 Weeks Pregnant?

Hi Iam just curious if I could get my mole removed on my for head while Iam 35 weeks pregnant with laser treatment? Will it affect my baby in any way?

Mole removal

+1

I would discourage getting a mole removed by just by laser.  Prior to any laser, it should be biopsied to confirm whether or not it is benign.  Also, any procedure should be done after your pregnancy.  

Mole removal while pregnant

+1

I feel that it is never appropriate to use a laser as your primary treatment for removing a mole. Regardless of how "benign" a mole may appear, a biopsy may still reveal it to be atypical. There are many ways to surgically remove a mole with a minimal scar and have tissue to send for microscopic examination which is the only way to ensure that it was benign. Using a laser to improve the appearance of a mole will alter its look and make it more difficult to observe for precancerous changes in the future. I frequently remove moles from pregnant women by doing a simple "shave excision". Sterile water is used for injection for local anesthesia (yes, it really works, but only for a few minutes which is all that is necessary). There is minimal trauma and the area heals like a "brush burn".

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser treatment is not recommended at all for mole removal

+1

Laser treatment is not recommended at all for mole removal (whether you are pregnant or not).

All moles ("nevi") that are removed, should be removed via scalpel (either excision or shave removal) and examined under the microscope.  Laser treatment for moles is not recommended because you will never know if the mole is possibly cancerous or precancerous.  

Laser treatments and elective mole removals are not done during pregnancy, as any trauma to a pregnant woman could stimulate pre-term labor.  

So just enjoy your final weeks of pregnancy, and have that mole examined by a board-certified dermatologist to determine whether or not shave or excision would be appropriate after you deliver.

Best, Dr. McNeill

Anne Marie McNeill, MD, PhD
Newport Beach Dermatologist

Mole removal

+1

If the mole has changed and is suspicious, then it should be removed and biobsied. Remember the hormonal changes in your body during pregnancy may cause changes that are benign.

If your dermatologist or plastic surgeon is suspicious, then it must be removed for biobsy. No shaving of suspicious moles, no destruction of suspicious moles, by any method. Only surgical excision and biobsy.