How should remove a mole?

I have a mole on my chin. I want to remove it, can you please tell me if laser procedures are better that the traditional ones? Also, how much does it cost?

Mole Removal

+1
Generally speaking it is better to remove a mole through traditional methods rather than lasers.  Since there is no photo of the mole I can give you a range but typically a mole removed on the face would be approximately $400. Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with skin cancer and cosmetics for the best result.

Method and cost to remove a mole on the chin

+1
A shave excision is typically the easiest, most cost effective, and least likely to scar method of removal for moles on the chin. With this method the mole is actually "shaved off" at a level just below the surface of the skin. Another method, an excision with suture closure, is sometimes used for deeper moles. The cost will vary from $90 for a shave removal to $350 for a mole removal with stitching.
I feel that it is never appropriate to use a laser as your primary treatment for removing a mole. Regardless of how "benign" a mole may appear, a biopsy may still reveal it to be atypical. Using a laser to "destroy" a mole will alter its look and make it more difficult to observe for precancerous changes in the future. Also, I don't believe a laser will even give the best cosmetic result.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon