Is It Possible to Remove Mersilene Nose Tip Implants?

I had a nose job done a month ago. My nose was implanted some mersilene mesh on dorsom and tip and used some kind of plastic ribs to stretch the nose become pointier. The plastic ribs shows through the skin and the mersilene mesh makes the nose hard like a rock. I hate the look and everything about the change of my nose and would like to undo everything, remove all those implants. Would it be possible and how bad the tissue can be damage?

Removing implants after rhinoplasty

+1

Mersilene does have some tissue in-growth so it is a bit more difficult to remove. The sooner its done the better. Get second opinions just make sure that some of the changes you dislike are not temporary and could improve with time. Wondering why you did not have your own tissue (septal or ear cartilage) used for the implant.

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removal of Mersiline Nasal Grafts

+1

As others have said, Mersiline becomes fixed when surrounding nasal tissue grows into the graft. Therefore, I suggest you consult with your surgeon or get a second opinion to consider removal as soon as possible. The "plastic" that is showing through the skin should also be evaluated to rule out possible extrusion. At that time it will be determined if the nose can be augmented at the same time the material is removed or if a delay is necessary. 

+1

Mersilene mesh allows your nasal tissue to grow into the implant making it more difficult to remove than other nasal graft materials.  If you had a closed Rhinoplasty, this may be one of the exceptions to having a Revision Closed Rhinoplasty sooner than 6 months (post Rhinoplasty) in order to remove the mersilene grafts.  If you had an Open Rhinoplasty, I'd have a few consultations with experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeons with a planned Revision at the 6 month mark.  Ear cartilage, for the tip and silastic dorsal or cartilage grafts to the nasal bridge should be planned IMHO.  Hope this helps.

Alloplastic nasal implants

+1

I have never used mersilene mesh for a rhinoplasty implant, but mersilene is difficult to deal with, and over time it becomes more incorporated into the tissues. 

Mesh Removal After Rhinoplasty

+1

Mersilene mesh can be removed but it is best done soon after it is placed. Tissue ingrowth will make it more difficult to remove as time goes by and that means more normal tissue may have to be taken with it to get it out. It may also be best to replace the mesh with cartilage grafts so that a soft tissue deficiency or indentation does not result afterwards.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Mersilene mesh can be removed from the nose.

+1

It is best to remove this before tissue I growth occurs. When Ihave done this removal I have to reconstruct with your own cartilage which is what I would have used in your original surgery. In many patients that I have done the mesh can be quite difficult to remove totally. Make sure to see an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon.

Removal of Mersilene Mesh Nasal Implant

+1

Hi,

Yes it ie possible to remove mersilene mesh nasal implants. I would suggest you have it done sooner than later to prevent tissue in-growth into the mersilene mesh. Once the tissue has grown in, it will be that much more difficult to remove.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS