Is It Possible to Remove Implants and Still Have About the Same Breast Size?

60 yr old with double implants. dr says there is leakage and that i can consider removing implants, have a breast lift, and would likely retain almost the same breast size. it that possible

Breast implant removal

+1

Probably not but what your breasts will look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 
Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Occasionally, I see patients who just want the implants removed because they don't want the implants "to be a part of them" anymore.  Make sure you think about this and that this is the right thing for you.  It's difficult to say if you need a lift after removal -- no one will know exactly what your breasts will look like after the implants are removed until it is done.  Talk to a well-trained and experienced board-certified plastic surgeon and get good advice.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastrevision.htm

Unlikley that you will remain the same size after breast implant removal (explantation)

+1

In all likelihood you will be smaller but there are so many factors that will effect the ultimate outcome and appearance of your breasts following implant removal. These include:

1.Age (yes, over 40 does mean less elasticity/contractility than a 25 year old but usually more than a 60 year old)
2.Size of implant
3.Number of years implant is in place
4.Over or under the muscle placement
5.Length and duration of nursing while implants are in place
6.Natural volume of breast tissue

In summary, it is my experience that If you go with a conservative volume implant (that is a subjective and not objective term) relative to your breast tissue, it is likely that you will have some loss of upper fullness with implatnt removal but not a drastic amount of sag (ptosis).

I have prepared a video on youtube entitled Breast Augmentation Overview in which I show the consequences of two patients who have undergone implants removal:

1.Scroll to 1 min into the video and you will see a 40 year old who underwent implant removal 1 year after placement. I do not have the pre implant photos because the augmentation was performed elsewhere and the patient preferred to have me remove the implant rather than the initial surgeon

.
2.Scroll to 1 min 30 sec into the video and the second patient is a 42 year old who had implants in place for 20 years.

Occasionally, it is obvious that a person will need a lift and implant removal and replacement can be performed simultaneously although there are some concerns about the circulation to the nipple areolar complex. I generally prefer a two stage approach with implant removal followed b 6-9 months of observation and then decide on a lift at that point in time. If there is a question about the need for a lift, saline implants can be deflated with a needle to get a rough idea bout the degree of sagging or droop (ptosis) followed by observation for 1-2 weeks to observe the effects of immediate contraction

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/implant-replacement/

Implant removal and final size

+1

The answer to your question really depends upon a few things. How much native breast tissue do you have and how large are the breast implants. If the implants are small and you have alot of breast tissue than I would probably agree.

Removing long-standing Breast Implants is NOT Likely to yield the same Breast Size

+1

Breast implant change the overlying breasts. The larger the implants and the longer they have been in, the more profound and irreversible the changes to the breasts. Commonly we see atrophy and loss of breast tissue, varying degree of scarring around the implants and variable degrees of breast sagging. Removing long-standing breast implants causes a sudden loss of a large volume of the breast with significant deflation. Lifting such small breasts may make them perkier but will NOT and cannot restore lost volume. So while your breast will be perkier they would be smaller if no volume (IE implants) are added.