Can You Remove a Forehead Lipoma Through the Scalp or Hairline to Hide the Scar?

I had a head injury when I was 14, now 21 I still have what I researched to be a Lipoma. It is rather small but I was considering having it removed by a plastic surgeon. It is only about half an inch below my hairline and I was curious to know if the incision can be made where the hair grows to mask the scar. Thanks!

Hairline incisions

+3

The answer is yes, you can camoflage the incision if it's only a half an inch away.  Lipomas are pretty straightforward to dissect and remove,  and can be approached through small incisions.  Liposuction can also be used for very select lesions, although I suspect not for this size and site.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removal of your Lipoma can be doen through hidden incision

+2

As plastic surgeons, our priority is to leave as little scarring as possible. This often means "taking the long road" by keeping the incisions in a hidden area, even if it means using small cameras to help.  Obviously, I would need to see your lipoma, but it sounds as if this can be removed through a well hidden incision behind your hairline. 

Matthew Schulman, MD

Treatment of forehead lipomas with surgery

+1

The preoperative assessment is important in forehead lipoma removal. I would recommend an incision in the hairline or along a wrinkle crease. This minimizes surgical scarring. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Lipoma Excision and Hide Incision?

+1

Based on your description, an incision can be kept at or above the hairline to access the lesion.

Can a forehead lipoma be removed using an incision hidden in the hairline?

+1

Yes, forehead growths can be removed using incision(s) hidden in the hairline. This is more straightforward the closer the growth is to the hairline (as is appears to be in your case). Visiting with a surgeon experienced in operating in this area would allow for more detailed assessment.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Scalp Approach For Forehead Lipoma Removal

+1

Any lipoma on the forehead has the potential to be removed through a scalp or endoscopic approach. The closer they are to the frontal hairline, the easier they are to do. Two small scalp incision are used to endoscopically remove a forehead lipoma, somewhat similar to that of the laparoscopic removal of the gallbladder. It can also be removed through a direct incision if one has deep forehead wrinkles without creating a new 'scar line'. (we can call a wrinkle an old scar line)

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

I wrote a textbook chapter on forehead lipoma removal through hidden incision.

+1

I actually wrote the textbook chapter in Surgery of the Skin, 1st Ed., regarding the removal of a small, high forhead lipoma, through an incision hidden in the hairline. It is possible, but definitely technically more difficult than a small direct incision over the lipoma itself. Go to a skilled dermatologic or plastic surgeon for this procedure. Don't be surprised by a small amount of scalp numbness or tingling for a few weeks after the surgery, as some small skin nerves can be cut, but will regenerate.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Hidden scar or no scar with lipoma removal

+1

Lipomas are easy to remove by direct approach with care to place the orientation of the scar with the skin lines.  There is more of a technical challenge to approach it by tunnelling but certainly worth the result of a hidden scar.  I would consider the use of a small bore liposuction cannula, but be aware of the slightly higher risk of recurrence using the latter techniques.  I have been successful in flattening a forehead lipoma by injection of a sclerosant and steroid mixture, but there is less predictability of result using chemical methods. 

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Lipoma

+1

One needs to evaluate you and the position of the lipoma from the hairline. The thickness of your hair.

You also run the risk of a wide scar with no hair which requires revision.

Most lipomas of the forehead are under the muscle, The forehead can be exposed through an incision in the hailine, but the incision may be a long one.