If I Remove my Fibroadenoma Could Breast Reconstruction Help?

I am a 27 year old female. I had an ultrasound guided biopsy done in 2007 which confirmed I had a 3cm fibroadenoma. Last week, I had an ultrasound and mammogram which showed the fibroadenoma had grown to over 7cm. My surgeon has stated that removal is my option, but cautioned me that 1/4 of my breast would be affected due to the large size of the fibroadenoma, possibly leaving me disfigured. I am wondering whether I should have it removed. If so, could reconstruction of the breast help?

Plastic surgeons can help with partial mastectomy and lumpectomy defects

+2

Removing a large fibroadenoma will can leave you with a visible deformity of the breast. To correct this a plastic surgeon can utilize differerent techniques to fill the defect, including rearrangement of local breast tissue, flaps, and fat grafting. You may want to speak with your breast surgeon to see what plastic surgeon he or she normally works with in order to get an opinion.

In some patients with very large breasts who are candidate for breast reduction, the plastic surgeon can design a breast reduction that allows the breast surgeon to access and remove the fibroadenoma at the time of the reduction surgery. 

Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

+2

Yes your surgeon should have you consult with a boarded PS that he works with so you can be given options. 

Breast Fibroadenome

+2

Removing a7 cm fibroadenoma will make a difference i the breast shape and size.

In all these cases I recommend that I as a plastic surgeon be present at the begening of the surgery to design the scar and repair the defect then do the reconstruction needed. usualy all options of reconstruction are discussed before the surgery and you choose the method.

remember that this reconstruction MAY be NOT covered by your insurance

If you need to have a partial mastectomy, or lumpectomy done, reconstruction can be extremely beneficial in

+2

optimizing your result.  Our breast surgeons routinely have their patients discuss reconstructive options with plastic surgeons prior to lumpectomy, and often a coordinated approach could tremendously improve the results.  For example, in a patient with droopy breasts, the lumpectomy can be combined with a mastopexy or breast lift performed at the same time, with a similar lift on the opposite, non involved breast for symmetry.  The same approach can be used in a patient who would benefit from a breast reduction.  With careful planning by the breast surgeon and plastic surgeon, the tissue that needs to be removed to treat the involved breast can be part of the planned reduction.  Many of our patients who choose lumpectomy and radiation to treat their breast cancer, and undergo immediate reconstruction and surgery on the opposite breast for symmetry, end up with a cosmetic improvement in the appearance of their breasts, at the same time the cancer or disease is treated...  In your case, it may be possible to do a local tissue transfer, or use a small implant to reconstruct the defect from removal of the fibroadenoma.  I can't tell without seeing your pictures, but I would certainly advise taking the time to see an experienced plastic surgeon.  

Web reference: http://www.plasticsurgeryweb.com

White Plains Plastic Surgeon