Who Can Remove a Fatty Tumor on an Upper Eyelid? A Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon?

I have a fatty tumor on my upper eye lid and was wondering whay kind of doctor could remove it for me and what the approximate cost might be.

It Depends On Where On The Eyelid The Fatty Tumor Is Located.

+2

You best bet is to see a fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeon.  These individuals are fellowship trained in oculoplastic surgery and board certified in ophthalmology.  No other specialty has the depth of training in eyelid issues.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a geographic directory on their website which will help you find a highly qualified surgeon in your area.

Who is the best to remove a fatty tumor from eyelids

+1

cannot be determined by what board they have but instead and more importantly, by what experience and judgement they have.  I hope any doctor that you select, who is not really qualified to do this, would let you know and refer you to someone who they know as experienced with problems such as yours.  Good luck!

Who is an oculoplastic surgeon?

+1

Oculoplastic surgeons are ophthalmologists (eye surgeons) who have done extra fellowship training (usually 2 years) in eyelid plastic surgery.  Their expertise is in aesthetic and reconstructive eyelid (and around the eyes including lacrimal and orbital - eye socket) surgery.  Oculoplastic surgeons are members of the ASOPRS (American Association of Ophthalmic Plastic Reconstructive Surgery).

Web reference: http://www.TabanMD.com

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fatty Tumor

+1

The physician who has the most experience in removing upper eyelids fatty tumors is the correct answer: usually a Facial Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon or a Cosmetic Surgical Dermatologist with reconstructive experience.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid growth

+1

Dear mmarsha,

-Any facial plastic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, or plastic surgeon who does a lot of face work would be qualified

-This requires delicate and meticulous dissection so you want to go to someone who does a lot of fine surgery

Best regards

Nima Shemirani

+1

This sounds like an interesting issue. Either a dermatologist or Facial Plastic Surgeon could remove this for you. Dermatologists as a group tend to perform very meticulous work. However, with either a Dermatologist or Facial Plastic Surgeon you should look at photos of their work to ensure that they are capable of creating subtle scars. The eyelid tends to heal well but only if it's handled gently and incisions are properly placed. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/blepharoplasty/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon