Procedure to Remove Excess Skin or Fat on the Head?

I've been told that the back of my head along with the top of has rolls like hotdogs. Are there any procedures out there for me? Thanks.

Management of posterior Scalp rolls

+2

Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done.

This area has a relatively high density of nerves and I would urge caution in proceeding with removal of the rolls in this area. Commonly, the area just above the rolls is used as a donor site for hair grafts but I would not routinely advise excision of skin below this area. You could end up with a very tender scar or numb scalp.

Dogs on the back of your head

+2

My opinion is in line with the others. The one thing that you must expect with such an operation is that scars in hair bearing scalp are usually associated with baldness over the scar. You may also experience numbness in/around the surgical site, and that may be permanent.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Removing Skin Rolls

+2

Some people do suffer from excess skin on the posterior scalps which forms rolls which you describe. It is possible to excise (remove) the rolls surgically. You have to remember that there is no magic wand. Meaning that, if an incision is made as in this case, there will be a scar. So, it is a tradeoff of which would bother you more - the rolls or the potential for scar. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Scalp reduction

+2

Yes, you can have a scalp reduction to excise the redundant scalp and smooth it out. Care should be taken to hide the scar. Usually, I will zigzag the incision so any hairlessness to the scar will be less noticeable. You should be able to get a dramatic improvement.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Scalp Reduction

+2

As an adopted Tennessean, I can honestly say that I have not any cases of Frankfurtersis Capitis in Memphis nor have I been asked to surgically relieve them of this conditions.

Although some people do have occipital rolls just over the insertions of the spine muscles on the back of the head, the only ones I ever had to remove scalp in this area involved a few cases of Hidradenitis suppurativa.

Scalp reduction surgery is done for a different reason - by serially removing the balding center of the scalp, the hair baring sides are brought closer together for a less balding appearance.

Dr. P. Aldea

Excess skin removal

+2

I have never heard of removing excess skin on the back of the head but if you truly have it, it can be removed.  Just go to an experienced plastic surgeon for an evaluation.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS