Remove Cheek Implants Now or in a Year?

I had cheek implants done about 9 weeks ago, i still have swelling but the implants look too big and uneven, I want them out, but my dr advises that I should wait and if i´m not happy in 6-9 months from now , he will remove them.I know for sure that i do want them out,is it better to have them removed now , or is it better to remove the in 6-9 months from now , i am very concerned about the sagging and want to make the right choice regarding removal timing, i am only 22

Timing of Cheek Implant Removal/Replacement/Adjustment

+1

The only reason to wait any longer for cheek implant removal or replacement is if you or your doctor believes that more time is going to solve their current 'problems'. As a general rule, it is usually advised to wait  at least three months to see the final result in any form of structural facial surgery like cheek implants.   But once you get to this point the size and symmetry of them will not change significantly thereafter. Your doctor wanting to wait longer is looking out for your interest as he/she doesn't want you make a premature decision on something that you are so vested in. With more time you may also come to like them better and it often takes six months or more to adapt to a new look. From a skin stretch standpoint, it does not make any difference if you remove now or later.

Cheek implant revision

+1

Waiting before undergoing revision surgery is usually the best choice.

You will have a better idea of what the final outcome will be.

It seems that your doctor is giving you sound advise.

Please consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in person prior to making any treatment decisions

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

Big cheek implants

+1

Without pictures it is difficult to answer your question. Howver if you are really dissatisfied with implants you can have them removed or exchanged by smaller ones. My advice would be anyway to wait at least 4 months and then decide. After this time swelling should not be the major issue and you will be able to make a better decision.

Jesus Benito-Ruiz, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Timing of removal of cheek implants

+1

I would agree that there most likely would be some degree of swelling present at nine weeks after cheek augmentation with implants.  With more time, the amount of fullness probably will go down some additional amount.  I'm not sure if you're thinking you want the implants removed completely, or if you want the current ones removed and smaller ones replaced.  Without pictures of you, it's difficult to give an opinion of whether the current ones might be too big or not.  If I believed they were too large and you were absolutely certain you wanted them removed, I don't think it's unreasonable to remove them now.  However, if I felt the appearance was still going to go down significantly, then I would probably recommend waiting more time before coming to a decision.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon