Can I Remove a Cartilage Graft After 6 Months?

I am a black girl and I had surgery 5 weeks ago. My main concern was that my nose was too flat with no bridge & my PS said I may need a rib cartilage if my existing septal cartilage wasn't enough to build up the bridge. I had the cartilage put in and now I am extremely unhappy with my new nose because it just looks unnatural and does not go with the rest of my face. My question is after 6 months can I go back to my PS to have the cartilage removed so I can return back to my old nose?

Removing Cartilage Graft At 6 Months After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

I am sorry that you are going through a critical phase of disliking your results.

However, at 6 months post surgery it is early to undergo a cartilage graft removal. I recommend that you have a little more patience and achieve the 12 months golden mark where your final results should be established. Then, you will have a better judgement over the results of your surgery.

If you were to remove the cartilage graft, it is crucial that you consult with your PS as it is not possible to have the exact same nose you had before surgery; to graft the harvested cartilage the surgeon has to apply some nasal modifications that will not be totally reversed when the graft is to be removed later on.

I encourage you to consult with your PS as well as consulting with board certified surgeons of extensive experience with corrective rhinoplasties to have a better understanding of your situation; without physical examination and photos (before/after) it is hard to give you a definitive opinion.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

+1

When dorsal implants are used to build up the nasal bridge, they can and do appear larger and fuller than they ultimately will be...give yourself 6-9 months to see the final result.  If after that time, it still looks too large, discuss removal or modification of the dorsal height with your Rhinoplasty Surgeon.

Graft

+1

If you must remove the cartilage graft after six months, make sure that your original surgeon in at least informed of your desire.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rib Cartilage Graft

+1

Five weeks is too soon to pass judgment on the final result of your rhinoplasty. Significant swelling can occur with a rhinoplasty and can take a year to fully resolve. Without seeing your photos, I would continue to practice patience with your nose, and have continued follow up with your surgeon. If any revisions are to happen, 6 months would be the minimum amount of time to wait. Waiting a full year is preferred.

Richard Balikian, M.D.
Temecula Facial Plastic Surgeon