How to Remove Black Marks on my Face From Pimples? (photo)

Hi, This is the first time i got a big pimple and i started pinching it and the pimples spread over just like anything on my left cheek and the result is full of black marks which are just like chicken pox black marks. Could you please look into the below picture once and let me know the solution so that it will a great help for me. Thanks in advance, Sravanthi

The PIH will resolve in most cases

Thanks for the question and including the photos that show what we call post-inflammatory
hyperpigmentation or PIH as a result of the acne and your pinching or picking at them. You need a
consultation with a board-certified dermatologist to get your acne under control and to determine the
best treatment for the PIH. Over time, the PIH will resolve in most cases. Various bleaching creams,
including hydroquinone and some of the “active” fading cosmeceuticals can also work well here. Light
chemical peels also can improve PIH when needed, so find the right provider and see what will work best
for you.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Treating Discoloration From Acne

Based on what I see in your pictures, it appears you have mostly discoloration (hyperpigmentation) from the acne lesions.  This is very common, especially in darker skin types. In addition to treating the active acne, there are treatments that can help fade the dark spots, specifically topical RetinA (tretinoin) and hydroquinone which can both help to lighten the color.  There are also office-based treatments such as Silkpeel Dermalinfusion which can help exfoliate the skin and improve the discoloration. I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist to discuss what will work best for your skin. 

Discoloration Treatment

I get great results with skin lightening creams, salicylic acid peels, and clear + brilliant laser +/- microneedling.  I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist with experience in treating darker skin types and acne.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Dark marks from pimples

It looks like based on your photo you have developed hyperpigmentation or a darkening effect of the skin from inflammation. Try not to excessively pick your skin and make sure to wear sunscreen when outdoors. Additionally a skin lightening cream would be helpful.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Melarase for dark acne scars

Our office specializes in acne scars and we recommend Melarase creams for acne scars that are pigmented and darkened in color. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Sunscreen, Hydroquinone, Lytera and chemical peels

You have what is known as PIH or post inflammatory hyperpigmentation- a super common condition that occurs in darker skin patients after the event of acne. The treatment of this condition is as follows-

1. Sunscreen and sunprotection- this forms the absolute cornerstone of management. You need to be on this for the duration of any treatment .

2. If you can get hold of HQ or bleaching cream (hydroquinone), I would use 5-7 % daily. For at least 8 weeks. 

3. If no HQ is available, Lytera is a good agent. 

4. Chemical peels such as glycolic acid can help. You will need 4-7 treatments over the next few months. 

5. Vitamin A such as tretinoin can help. 

The best treatment is a combination of the above. 

Cheers

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser and aesthetic Dermatologist
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Hyperpigmented scars

You have post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.  This is a very common problem in people with darker skin tones.  As you can tell from the name, this can happen after any inflammation in the skin- from acne, infection, bites, dermatitis, etc.  This can be a difficult condition to treat, however there are some good treatment options. 
1)  Use sunscreen!  The spots will darken with UV radiation so make sure you are wearing at least SPF 30 on the skin daily.
2)  Chemical peels can be a good option- usually you need a series of at least 4 for optimal results
3)  Bleaching creams (hydroquinone) and retinoid creams can help. 
I would advise caution with the last two options because if your skin becomes more irritated (or inflamed) from these treatments you can end up with even more post inflammatory hyperpigmentation!  Chemical peels and topical creams sometimes do irritate the skin too much so I recommend that you do a spot test on your jawline or neck prior to treating your face with any topical cream or chemical peel.
Discussing these options with a board certified dermatologist would be the best next step for you.
Good luck!

Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation.

From your pictures, these are Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation due to acne. As PIH generally improves with time slowly, over months by itself but still you need treatment from a dermatologist for better results.

Topical hydroquinone & use of sun screen can help a lot.

Chemical peeling is another good option for pigmentory problems.

Dark spots from pimples

You have what's called post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH).  It is very common in dark skin individuals following any type of inflammatory process (pimples, burns, cuts, chemical peels or laser treatments).  It can improve on it's own but you need to use sunscreen over it while it is healing and protect it from direct sun exposure.  Prescription strength skin lightening creams such as Hydroquinone 4% can also speed up the process.  It not meant to be used for long term as it can cause side effects.  Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) is a great options as it is safer on darker skin types, but will require multiple treatments.  Fractional lasers can also lighten the skin and is usually safer for darker skin types than traditional CO2 lasers (which can cause a lot of uneven pigmentation in dark skin individuals).  It can also improve the appearance of the scars as well.  A series of light chemical peels may also help but you have to be very careful with the chemical peels with your dark skin type since they can make the PIH a lot worse if they are the deeper peels.  Best wishes.