Possible to Remove a Little Bit of Cartilage on Tip of Nose? Cost? Calgary Doctors?

I have never heard or seen anyone have this particular area of their nose done but is it possible to ever so slightly shave off the tip (the part right above the cupids bow and below the most prominent part of the nose)? It goes down too far when i smile. I always notice it in pictures and it really bugs. I don't want my nose smaller I just want it symmetrical to my other features. I want very slight things removed. Any idea on cost? Good doctors in Calgary, AB?

Hi There,

Here are two links that will direct to our Rhinoplasty doctors and the average price other community members have paid for this procedure.

http://www.realself.com/Rhinoplasty/drs

http://www.realself.com/rhinoplasty/cost

Hanging columella?

+1

By your description it sounds like the area that seperates the nostrils, the columella, hangs too low. In addition as you describe it being made worse by smiling it does suggest that your nasal tip may be soft and not able to resist downward forces . Some photos would be very helpfull to see exactly what you mean. perhaps an online consult would help you

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible to Remove a Little Bit of Cartilage on Tip of Nose? Cost?

+1

Aesthetically speaking, a photo is always the most helpful when analyzing the nose and face.  You may be referring to "Columellar show" which can be reduced using a minimally invasive, limited procedure that does not require a complete Rhinoplasty.  I have performed this procedure many times over the past 25 years.  

No matter where you're located, be sure the Rhinoplasty Surgeon you select understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally more attractive nose and face.  Having experience in performing Rhinoplasty alone is simply not enough.  Hope this helps.

+1

Because you did not provide a picture it is hard to see exactly what your cosmetic concern is. From what you describe it makes me think either that you have a hanging columella or animation of your tip when you smile. For the hanging columella, yes that can be shaved down or trimmed. For an animated tip on smiling there are a set of muscles that can be cut and re-oriented from inside the upper lip in the mouth that will resolve that issue. Because I would consider this a Rhinoplasty you could expect from $4500-$6500 depending on the surgeon and their experience.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Rachelle,

It is difficult to tell exactly what you are speaking of as your concerns however it sounds like the columella being prominent is your concern. If you would like to send photographs to my email address listed below I would be happy to give you a further expert opinion. A good examination and consultation by a Rhinoplasty specialist will help answer these questions. As far as surgeons in Calgary I am not sure where to direct you. I would start with some good recommendations through the local Plastic Surgery boards and then perhaps go onto vitals.com or realself.com and see if there are any recommendations from that area. Cost is subjective to the procedure that needs to be done and the typical fees for that area of expertise. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Removing a Small Bit Of Cartilage from the Nasal Tip

+1

It is not clear exactly what the problem is. If the base of the nose is pulled down when smiling, a small muscle can be cut. If the columella is hanging, this can be lifted. Obviously, cost will determined by what is done. Pictures would be helpful.

Cost

+1

Probably about five to six thousand dollars for the initial fee and follow-up because this is a type of rhinoplasty.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon