Is It Possible to Remove This Big Black Raised Mole? (photo)

I have a raised mole right at the corner of my eye. Is it possible to remove it ?

This mole can be removed

+1

This mole can be removed with minimal scarring.  It is good to know where the mole lies when the eye is open.  This will help in planning the incision and help to minimize the scarring.

Claremont Plastic Surgeon

Mole removal on the eyelid

+1

The main objective would be to remove the eyelid mole with minimal scar.  I would perform the surgical excision with primary closure and proceed with scar minimization techniques thereafter. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Mole removal

+1

The mole can be either shaved or a complete surgical excision can be done.  I would recommend that you see a board certified facial plastic surgeon for the procedure.

Sam Naficy, MD

Removal of eyelid lesion

+1

This lesion can be excised under local anesthesia in the office.  I would not recommend a shave in this area for several reasons.  It is important to get a pathology report, particularly in what appears, from the photograph, to be a blue-black lesion.  Second, when a lesion is formally excised and the wound closed using plastic surgical technique, the scarring can be optimal.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Best methods for removing a facial mole

+1

Depending on their size and location, facial moles can be easily removed by one of two methods. One is a "shave excision" where the mole is actually "shaved off" at a level just below the surface of the skin. The other is an excision with suture closure which uses both dissolving and non-dissolving sutures to give the best cosmetic result. Either method would probably work quite well for the removal of your mole but this is best decided on the initial examination. Also, either method will allow for an equally accurate diagnosis from the pathologist.  Dermatologic surgeons, not plastic surgeons, typically do both procedures expertly and can decide which would be best for your particular mole. All methods of surgery will leave a scar but the trick is to minimize the scar using the best technique.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Removal of Black Mole

+1

From your photo, it appears that the black mole on your eyelid could be easily removed under local anesthesia.  Of the two options for removal - shaving the mole vs. completely excising the mole and closing the incision with a few sutures - I would suggest the later approach.  Complete excision of the mole will allow for a more accurate diagnosis by the pathologist (this mole should be evaluated under a microscope to rule out a skin cancer).  Also, by carefully closing the wound with sutures, I believe the resultant scar will be less as well.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Removing a raised mole on eyelid

+1

This could be removed easily with a shave method, requiring a small amount of local injected lidocaine to numb the area, a small tool used to shave off the mole itself, then no sutures or anything needed. If you follow good post-care, you should be left with the tiniest pinkish mark, at most. It's a simply, easy procedure!

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Removing Big Black Moles is Easy in most cases.

+1

The mole on your eyelid would be easy to remove by excision under local anesthesia and leave only the tiniest line mark of where it was. Nobody would probably ever know you had it once it was removed. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Mole on upper eyelid

+1

It is possible to remove the raised mole on your upper eyelid.  Since it is raised, it could possibly be removed by shaving it off, which means that no skin would need to be excised.  This option is fairly easy, but it does pose the risk of still leaving some pigment on the surface.  The other potential method would be to excise the mole completely.  This would require removing some skin with the mole and then placing some stitches to close the skin.  A qualified surgeon should be able to discuss the options with you in more detail.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon