Remove 24 Year Old Colostomy Scar? (photo)

I have had this scar since I was an infant, unfortunately, due to being born premature and having multiple surgeries. I had a large portion of my intestines removed and that's where the 4 inch scar above my belly button comes into play. I don't care about the way it looks, I just want it removed because I'm afraid that the all that scar tissue built up from the surgeries healed in a bad way, and will prevent me from growing a baby. My fiance and I do want kids soon in the future. Can you help?

Tummy scar that is indented needs scar revision - Los Angeles

+2

The scar can be revised with excision and layered closure. This is an ideal procedure for the indented abdominal scar. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

+2

This can be addressed but ONLY in person evaluations with a boarded PS in your city is the best way to proceed. 

Most abdominal wall scars are not a contraindication for pregnancy

+2

If you notice a bulge or mass on a abdominal scar you should be evaluated for a hernia, specially if you are considering pregnancy. Isolated scars should not be a problem.  After you are done with childbearing you can consider an abdominoplasty and may be able to have your scar partially or completely removed depending on your skin laxity and excess.

Adherent scar from pediatric abdominal surgery

+1

The problem that occurs from pediatric abdominal surgery is that there is very little fat layer in a permature infant.  When the incision is closed it is generally just a skin closure and as the child matures to an adult and adult fat patterns emerge the scar is still adherent to the underlying fascia.  You need to be checked first to make sure you do not have any incisional hernias.  If none are present the the scar can be excised and closed in multiple layers so that it will be flat.  This would not effect your ability to carry a pregnancy.