Revision Surgery for Larger Implants, Left Side Hangs Significantly Lower Than Right, Is this Permanent? (photo)

I had 420 cc McGhan inserted in 1998 - made me a 36DD. One had lost a lot of volume + I had 2 kids, gained 180 pds & lost 155 through gastric bypass. New implants are 750 cc overfilled to fill out the extra skin. I'm 3 days postop, but the left (which was very droopy before) is still lower & less firm than the right which is very hard. Doc says that the capsule on that side was larger than on the right and that he can't do anything about it. Am I stuck with this? To me, they look horrible.

Revision breast surgery takes time to heal

+2

I know it's been three days, but please be patient and allow the swelling to go down.  I would wait about 3 months to allow the tissue to heal and to allow the swelling to go away.  Once this has occurred, you may need maniputation the breast implant pockets to get them just.  I've had a lot of experience with this using Strattice (a great material for adjusting breast pockets) and making the breasts more symmetric after multiple revisions and weight gain/loss.

Correction of Breast Implant Asymmetry?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Based on your pictures it seems that you do have significant breast asymmetry present. Given that you're only 3 days out of surgery it may be too early to determine the final outcome of your recent surgery however.

If the breast asymmetry persists  implant malposition can be corrected using internal suture techniques  (capsulorraphy). This internal suture technique  is effective in decreasing the size of the  breast implant capsule surrounding the breast implant.   This technique should serve to improve the position of the breast implant that is displaced  inferiorly and/or laterally.

If your plastic surgeon feels that “he can't do any about it” then further consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons well-versed in revision surgery may be worthwhile.

Breast Asymmetry After Implant Revision

+1

From your photos, it is clear that you have an asymmetric result. It appears that this was the case prior to surgery. There are options to fix this if it persists over time (you are still relatively early). The implants are very large and this will negatively affect almost any aspect of breast revision surgery. It seems that you could benefit from a tightening of the left breast capsule from the inside as well as needing a lift to help reposition the breast in a more symmetric location. Secondary to the complexity of the situation, you would need to be fully examined in person to better appreciate the specifics of your situation.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Implants and view

+1

Difficult to say what the final result will be. If the capsule was left in and you have very larger implants, the likelihood of the two looking closer in terms of symmetry may be tough.

+1

The photos help but very hard to determine if you will need more operations. My guess is YES! Sorry.  Right appears as a capsule while the left is still ptotic. 

Breast revision surgery

+1

To achieve the best results in terms of natural look, I would likely suggest a switching to a small, under the muscle, silicone implant with a mastopexy at the same time.  With the approach I think that you can achieve a much more symmetric result.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Bad result with breast augmentation. Is this permanent?

+1
The principle of breast surgery is that one controls the shape and use the size change as a tool to get a better shape. You have chosen a larger breast implant that your tissues can allow and as a cosequence the shape is worse. To control the shape you need a mastopexy and a proper size implant. Your problem is fixable. Talk to your doctor if he can't help you, you need to find someone who can.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Travails of very large breast implants

+1

Problems and artifacts are not uncommon with very large breast implants as the coverage becomes thin and unnatural, and the asymmetry of the breast envelope is magnified. The left breast is OK, though the right round and tight breast just can't pull it off. The solution is a smaller implant combined with a mastopexy to equalise the shape.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Breast Implant Revision

+1

You are still very swollen right now.  You should wait a few months for the swelling to subside before you make any decisions.  The question is why were such large implants chosen?  If it was to fill out excess skin, you may have been a good mastopexy (breast lift) candidate.  Not having seen your before pictures I can't say for sure though. I recommend you speak to your surgeon more about your concerns.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD