Removal of Purplish Earlobe Scars

I am 21 year old male who messed with earrings a year ago and as a result of improper care of them I am left with one year old purplish earlobe scars...Is there any topical creams or treatments that would drastically reduce the appearance or color of them? Are there any procedures recommended if the topical treatments don't leave me satisfied?

Purple ear lobe scars

+1

Scars sometimes take a long time to heal and the color to improve. Usually by a year it looks better, but sometimes it takes longer.

How to deal with purple earlobe scar.

+1

Although this looks either red or torn (shadowed) in your photograph, I feel the best and most definitive treatment (regardless of color) will be to excise this pierce site and carefully suture the skin in layers with extremely fine stitches that should be removed before they leave a mark (you will have a scar, but it will fade over time). You can always re-pierce if you want, but anything other than excision and repair (laser, IPL, topicals, etc.) will only make improvements and you will still be bothered by the pierce itself. The trade-off, of course, is a permanent scar and the $ spent in repair, but at least it's gone without the expense and disappointment of inadequate remedies.

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Reddened earlobes respond to Pulsed Light

+1

This redness will most likely resolve within 2 years. You can apply a topical 1% Hydrocortisone cream twice a day, (it's "over the counter"), and that may help. Intense Pulsed Light ,*( IPL), can also fade these quickly.

Debra Irizarry, MD
Crestone Plastic Surgeon

Purplish ear scar

+1

You may want to consider a KTP laser treatment or an IPL treatment to diminish the vascularity of the scar. YOu can attempt excision with the potential risks for a larger and more prominent scar