What is Best Removal Process for Deep Scar Left from Necrotic Wound? (photo)

Over 10 months ago I had small pimple like bumps appear on my chin that rapidly developed into a fleshly wound where the tissue became necrotic. It took about 3-4 weeks to fully heal, leaving behind an eyesore of a scar. It is deep and appears no skin has grown back over the open part. What would be the best process to look in to for removal or at least making it less noticeable?

Serial scar excision of the face

+1

Scar revision is appropriate.  I would recommend serial scar excision with layered closure.  This technique will help improve the scar. 

Scar Treatment: Surgical Revision

+1

At 10 months, it appears that this scar will need to be revised surgically in order to attain a more acceptable aesthetic appearance.  The scar is depressed and hypertrophic, making it less amenable to other forms of treatment.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar treatment on face

+1

Thank you for the question. There is really no hard answer. Non surgical treatments ranging from silicon sheets to laser may improve the scar. I think giving it more time would help. It usually takes up 18-20 months before scars settle. Surgical treatments are aimed at converting that scar from an oval irregular shape to a straight line along the fold. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD