Removal of Metal Plates from Face?

Assaulted 6 months ago. Saw awful surgeon outside of seattle to fix facial fractures including zygomatic break. Have mesh under eye due to full blow out. Butterfly next to nose touches nerves in teeth - driving me nuts, also looks permanently swollen. Large chunk of bone was removed from there. Can butterfly be replaced by anything else or better positioned? Butterfly in upper jaw also needs to be removed as I can touch it above my teeth, also painful. What kind of doc should I go to?

Serious facial injury

+1
You have certainly had a very serious facial injury requiring multiple plates and fixation. As healing goes on however, many of these plates can be removed safely after there is evidence that the bone itself has healed. In your community, a number of doctors can address many complex facial fractures with plates, including plastic surgeons. Sometimes oral and maxillofacial surgeons and ear, nose and throat surgeons also can treat patients with facial fractures and similar deformities.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Facial Fractures Plates Can Be Removed -Pain May Or May Not Get Better

+1

Just like the way they were put in, your metal fractures plates and screws can be removed. The 'butterfly' plates to which you refer are either mesh screen-type plates or double-Y shaped plates which are common facial fracture repair devices. Sometimes they can cause pain if they are closely placed to the infraorbital nerve which is often necessary in complex facial fractures. Ar this point, it is reasonable to have them removed and see if your symptoms improve. You may also have chronic nerve and facial pain from the original injury in which the removal of these fixation devices may offer little improvement in your symptoms.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Post-trauma plate sensitivity.

+1

After any major craniofacial trauma, a surgeons job is to put a patient back together as best as possible. This may involve plating and screw systems designed to align fracture and/or misplaced bones until they heal. Within six months, they are stabilized and any plates can be removed. 

In the bigger picture, many trauma patients need multiple surgeries to be returned to as normal as possible. Unfortunately your case is not unique, but rest assured that evaluation and treatment by the appropriate surgeon which may include a plastics, craniofacial, ENT, or oculoplastics surgeon will be of benefit.

Carlo Rob Bernardino, MD
Monterey Oculoplastic Surgeon

Repair of Facial Fractures

+1
Repair of facial fractures is technically difficult. The plates and screws hold the bones in position while they heal. If you see a board certified plastic surgeon or oral & Maxillofacial surgeon the can be removed without replacement. The bone should be healed now. Good luck. Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Removal of reconstruction plates

+1

The plates that are used to hold the bones in place as they heal rarely need to be removed. However, the plates can sometimes cause problems and if they are causing trouble, they can be removed after about 6 months in most cases.  I would suggest you get evaluated by a surgeon with an interest and expertise in taking care of facial trauma to evaluate you, because not all surgeons have that interest.  Good luck!

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Fracture

+1

You sound to have sustained a multiple major facial fractures.

I do not believe yu can blame the treating doctor for all your problems. You had a major truama and multile facial fractures. ay one of these can give you chronic pain nad discomfort. Your anger should be directed at the reason you had such a major trauma.

Fracture zygoma, blow out fracture and mandibular fractureand nasal fracture, that means almost every bone in your face was affected. You had plate fixation, and plates come with a certain thickness, that is why over thin areas they show as swelling.

The pain is probably due to nerve injury due to the trauma.

Consult your surgeon. or a BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON, OR MAXILLOFACIAL SURGEON