Removal of an L-shaped Silicone Implant 4 Months After the Surgery?

I had an L-shaped silicone implant in my nose in December 2012. The procedure involve insertion of the implant only, no removal of cartilage and bone from my nose. Now 4 months after the surgery, it is obvious to see it is twist to one side. I am very upset with the result and wanting to remove it. If I take it out, what would become of my nose? Would it return to its old look? Will the skin become loosen? How about the hollow space after the removal of the implant?

+2

At 4 months, the implant can be removed, altered, or replaced.  If you just want it out, the skin and anatomy should return to its preoperative status after the swelling resolves.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Implant removal

+2

Dear Jessie0311

Thank you for your question. Without physical examination and pre-operative and post operative photos it is difficult if not impossible to give a precise answer. However, If the underlying framework has not been altered and the skin-soft tissue envelope not damaged, removal of the implant at 4 months with proper taping should restore the pre-op appearance. Please consult you operating surgeon.

Stephen E. Metzinger, MD
Metairie Plastic Surgeon

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for 25 years and have seen many of these L-shaped nasal implants placed in patients mainly from Asian countries seeking Revision Rhinoplasty.  Sadly, no the nose would not return to the old shape for the following reasons:

1. Some of the dorsal cartilage and bone must be removed to accommodate the long segment (dorsal portion) of the implant.  The thicker the implant, the more cartilage and bone that would be removed.  Should the L-shaped implant be completely removed, an "open roof deformity" often results.  This typically requires some type of dorsal implant to cover up as the existing nasal bones are too short to meet in the midline and close the open roof deformity.
  2. The short (Tip portion) of the L-shaped implant is placed inbetween the two sides of the nasal tip cartilages causing them to spread apart and widen.  These often need to be sutured closer together when that segment of the implant is removed.
  3. The junction of the two segments of the L-shaped implant is quite stiff and will over time thin and even erode through the skin of the supratip.  

If the dorsum, of the nose looks good, a reasonable solution that I have performed numerous times is to perform a Revision Rhinoplasty to trim and take out the short tip portion of the implant, repair and augment (if needed with ear cartilage) the nasal tip.  Hope this helps.  Spread the word that these 15 minute Rhinoplasties using the L-shaped nasal implant are not a viable solution or a substitute for a properly performed Rhinoplasty with an experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeon...and as such should be avoided.

Silicone nasal implant and removal

+1

Removing a nasal implant is relatively simple. Usually the nasal skin will redrape well but it can be unpredictable.

L-Shaped Implants

+1

Hi,

Yes you can easily remove a L-shaped implant. I would suggest a revision with custom I shaped implant and cartilage tip grafts to get your nose where you want it to be. See link below.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Removal of Silicone Nasal Implant 4 Months after Surgery

+1

While I am not a fan of silicone implants I would not encourage you to remove your implant unless it is necessary. You're just 4 months post-op - make sure the problem you describe is not secondary to temporary asymmetrical swelling. A picture would be helpful.