Removal of Infected Breast Implant; Is it Worth it to Get a Revision?

I had breast lift with augmantation one month ago, 4 days ago my ride side started hurting bad and my skin started turning red. I went the dr. I have an infection in my right breast. My Dr. Had to do surgery again yesterday and had to remove the implant do to the infection and he said the implant was showing. I can get it replaced in 6 months but I'm just wondering what the success rate is with replantation on the infected side. I don't want to go through it again. I look horrible with just one

I am sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced. Yes, successful re augmentation is certainly possible. In my opinion, much will depend on practicing good clinical judgment; factors such as appropriate antibiotic therapy (tailored to any microbiology/culture results) and waiting for appropriate timing to proceed are examples of such judgment. Make sure also that your plastic surgeon has significant experience helping patients with complicated revisionary breast surgery.

Generally speaking, depending on the patient's specific situation, it is wise to wait at least 6 months ( sometimes up to a year) before proceeding with another surgery. Again, much of your success will be based on the practice of good clinical judgment as well as skillful execution of the procedure…

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

The general consensus in the plastic surgery community is to wait 6 months before replacing an implant after infection.  However, in my practice,  if  I have removed an infected breast implant,  I work closely with Infection Disease specialists who monitor the patient, take cultures and when they feel that the patient is clear of infection, I proceed with reimplantation if the patient so desires.  This is very often before the “rule” of a 6 month waiting time.   Generally speaking, the Infectious Disease specialist will recommend special IV antibiotics to be given during and just after the procedure, and then oral antibiotics to be given postoperatively.  Thus far, following this regimen, I have not had any postoperative complications.  

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Reaugment after explantation

At the time of reaugment, your plastic surgeon will need to dissect through scar tissue which will have formed. The basis for the infection must be clarified and appropriate antibiotic prophylaxis given. You are at higher risk for complication than the general public but these risks canbe mitigated. You and your surgeon will have to collaborate to decide when to operate and have a plan going forward. Best of luck and a speedy recovery.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Success after a breast implant infection

You can safely have your breast implant replaced and it should be well worth it. If you wait six months (can be very challenging with just one implant) the replacement should be successful and stay infection free.

Replacing an infected implant has some issues with it

After the infection you probably have some scar tissue that has formed.  Your surgeon will need to take this into account.  Also, I recommend waiting a minimum if not more than 6 months, and making sure that whatever bacteria was isolated from your infection is properly treated to minimize the risk of recurrent infection.
In the end, I think it will be worth it for you.
Sincerely,
Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSC

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast augmentation after infection

I'm sorry to hear of your post-operative infection.  Albeit infrequent, it can be emotionally and physically challenging when it does occur.  With regard to re-implantation--your doctor is right, waiting at least 4 months is wise and closer to 6 months is probably better.  Only you can answer the question of whether or not it's worth it.  You should meet again with your surgeon and discuss it once you're over the hump of treating your current infection.  Re-infection is still possible, but again, it's very very low.  Good luck!

Elan B. Singer, MD