Can Removal of Implants Be Performed at Same Time As a Lift?

Wondering if it is possible to have a removal of implants during the same surgery as a lift? (I've Had Them in 17 Years)

Removal of breast implants and other procedures

It all depends on the extent of your surgery.  However, a lift is frequently done at the same time as implant removal.  I'd have to see you in person to give you an exact answer.

10807 Falls Rd
Lutherville-Timonium, MD 21093

When breast implants are removed, will I need a lift?

The first question is do you need a lift and that will be determined with the assistance of your surgeon. Many of my patients are pleased by the appearance without a lift and satisfied they can accomplish this with no additional scarring. However, if you do have significant ptosis (sag), you may benefit from a lift and the next issue will be to decide if these procedures should be performed simultaneously or staged. The critical issue is the blood supply to the nipple and areola and may be effected by under/over placement and need for a capsulectomy.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Yes, can do a lift at the same time as an explantation.

Doing a lift at the same time as an explantation has several benefits.  As the lift is done through the same incision pattern as a reduction, it gives wide access to remove the implant with the scar capsule intact around it (en bloc removal) so if silicone implants are present and there is any concern about rupture of the implants, they can be removed without spillage.  The dissection to the scar capsule can be oriented to preserve the blood flow to the remaining tissue and tissue loss is not a problem.  The reduction pattern also allows the remaining breast tissue to be tucked inside a smaller envelope of skin and this plumps out the skin, resulting in a lifted,  better shaped, perkier breast.  This reassures my patients that, even with loss of volume from the implant removal that, they will have youthful, well shaped breasts.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

170 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02116

Lifts and Circulation after Implant Removal

In my hands this is NOT the best idea, because i worry about nipple circulation and final skin retraction folowing implant removal.  Sometimes the "short way home" is the "long way home."  So i usually ask my patients to two stage this procedure in that way we can see how the skin shrinks and we gain improved nipple circulation. In either case i would not touch any smokers.  Not that you are one.

James Apesos, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

5441 Far Hills Avenue
Dayton, OH 45429

Breast Implant Removal and Lift

Yes it can.  Having had implants for such a long time, you may not have much breast tissue left and you may not have much to lift.  It these cases you may need a new implant and a lift performed.  You need to be evaluated and given a good idea of how much volume you would have left once the implants are removed, only then can you decide to not have implants placed back in.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

10861 Cherry Street
Los Alamitos, CA 90720

Lifting breasts after implant removal

Many patients with aging implants are hesitant to consider removal and opt for replacement with larger implants to compensate for the drooping.  I often recommend they consider a lift with either decision as the shape of the breast is restored to a perky, more youthful, contour.  Contour is perhaps more important than size when trying to balance your figure.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

1100 Ward Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96814-1617

Breat implant removal and a lift

In fact it is frquent to have a lift at the same time breast implants are removed and not replaced.

There are several issues to be considered. How much lift you need, ie how far the nipple needs to be moved up.

the other issue is how much breast tissue you have and what size breast you are going to end up with.

breast implants and time can make you loose breast tissue. on the other hand some women gain breast volume with age.

10 East 31 Street
Baltimore, MD 21218

Lift and implant removal

Usually a lift can be done at teh same tiem as implant rem oval. Howver, if there is not alot of breast tissue, it may be better to wait for the breasts to settle before doing a lift.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Implant removal at the same time as a breast lift.

In a word , Yes. This is not an unusual request and it is done frequently is someone is older and no longer desires large breast. The incisions would be like those of a breast reduction. 

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

1204 5th Avenue
Fort Worth, TX 76104

Breast augmentation/lifting?

Yes usually it is safe and practical to remove the implants and have the breast lift (if it is necessary)  at the same time. There are rare circumstances ( for example very large or ptotic breasts)  where it may be safer to do the procedure in two  stages.

What your breasts will look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 
Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.
Consulting with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon in person may be helpful.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942