Removal of cheek implant due to migration

I recently had cheek implants and the one on the right side migrated up into my eye cavitiy and there seems to be a muscle protruding from the implant up into my eye which cased my bottom eyelid to turn inward where my eyelashes are inside of my eye. there is also a large hump in the middle of my eye. I was told I would have to remove the implant and would not be able to replace it for at least 4 mos. Is there any other treatment other than removing the implant.

Cheek Implant Needs To Be Repositioned And Secured

+1

What you have is obvious cheek implant migration up towards the direction of incisional placement. Either the pocket was not big enough, the implant too big or the implant was not secured. Either way, it has to be dealt with before it extrudes any further. I see no reason why the cheek implant can not be repositioned and secured in a revisional procedure. The cheek implant can be removed, resterilized, and then resinserted and positioned with a more secure means of fixxation. I see no advantage of its removal and delayed re-insertion over immediate repositioning.

Cheek implants

+1

You need to have this implant removed. If you want to have it replaced at the same setting ask your surgeon about screw fixation of the implant to avoid migration.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek Implant Shifting

+1

Hi,

Yes, I would say you need the implant removed. It maybe that the pocket for the implant is too big or the implant was not secured or both. For now, the best decision is to remove it and replace it in 4 months.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS