Removal of Lower Cheek Fat?

I'm interested in removing the fat from my lower cheek area (at the corner of my mouth and under.) I look chubby when I smile. However, in a consultation I was told that buccal fat removal would only help with the mid-face area (the arc ending right above the lip). Do I have any other options? Also, my lower left cheek is heavier than my right.

Consult Your Surgeon For Recommendation

+1

If your lower face has excess fatty tissue, there's no reason your couldn't have that thinned out using micro-liposuction.  Have several consultations with plastic and cosmetic surgeons with good reputations for further evaluation and recommendations.

Removing lower cheek fat

+1

As a general rule, we do not recommend removing any fat in the face since this will accelerate the aging process. If there is loose skin, one can undergo a face/neck lift with repositioning of the jowls and lower cheek fat. Sometimes one cheek is looser than the other and this can be adjusted at the time of the surgery.  

Lower cheek fat

+1

Without photos and a better description it is difficult to say what can be done. Cheek fat is not usually removed.  Buccal fat can migrate to the lower lateral perioral region, but lower face is usually jowls.

Removal of Lower Cheek Fat

+1

I suggest you submit pictures or seek consultation with a surgeon who can examine you. The exact locaion of your fullness will  determine treatment options.

Lower chubby cheeks.

+1
Without photos it is difficult to say. However you will need the cheek fat as you age so don't remove it.

Cheek fat or buccal fat removal

+1

It is impossible to give you my complete recommendation with photos and even examination; however it many patients of mine that complain of "fullness" in the cheek areas; buccal fat excision is warranted and people do extremely well with this simple surgical procedure.  In someone with a more "round" or "full" face, it can give a more subtle "heart shaped" or "angled" appearance and actually "highlight" the cheekbone area where we want fullness and volume.  The procedure can be done in the office or in surgery.  It involves a small incision inside the mouth and takes about half an hour to perform. 

Other things that would be important to know such as possible weight loss and aging would give some idea as to where the "cheek has fallen" or how much malar ptosis you have.  The solution to this problem is lift, either full face lift or short scar cheek lift.  Sometimes this is done in conjunction with buccal fat removal.  There are some times I do very minimal careful liposuction along the jawline but not really into the cheek proper.  I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

James F. Boynton, M.D., F.A.C.S.

James F. Boynton, MD, FACS

Fat cheek can be contoured or removed

+1

It's hard to say without seeing you, but typically lower cheek fat can be removed or contoured using microliposuction. True "buccal fat" starts at about the level of the upper teeth near the mouth and goes up and outwards from there. Most people have fullness lower than that from the jowl fat pad or sometimes farther to the side from the malar fat pad. 

Buccal fat can be surgically excised (cut out) and comes out quite easily. Other fat such as in the jowl area is better served with microliposuction - sucking the fat out through tiny long tubes called cannulas. It is possible to remove more from one side than the other iand this will help reduce your asymmetry.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon