Removal of Cartilage Caused Scar Tissue Build Up?

About 7 years ago I had cartilage removed from the right side on my nasal passage. After all these years my nose still appears puffy on that side. Is this the result of built up scar tissue or something else? If scar tissue, can it be remove by steroid injections or surgery? I have had several surgeries including breaking of the nose, and cartilage removal.

Scar tissue build up from cartilage removal

+1

If the nose still appears puffy on the side that was operated, it can be the result of scar tissue buildup, previous cartilage grafting, shifting of cartilage, or fluid retention.  Steroid injections will help with fluid retention and scar formation.  Multiple surgeries and breaking the nose can all lead to asymmetries in the nose. It is best to see someone who is very experienced in rhinoplasty surgery and is a revision rhinoplasty specialist.

Asymmetry following rhinoplasty surgery could be caused by scar tissue or by persistent asymmetry in the nasal cartilage

+1

Asymmetry following rhinoplasty surgery could be caused by scar tissue or by persistent asymmetry in the nasal cartilage. From your description it is difficult to know whether you previously underwent a rhinoplasty where the external structure of your nose was changed on the right or a septoplasty where cartilage inside the nostril was removed. If you underwent a septoplasty alone it is not likely to change the appearance of your nose. If you underwent a procedure such as rhinoplasty to change the appearance of your nose the persistent asymmetry could result either from residual cartilage that was not removed or the formation of scar tissue after surgery. Only an in person consultation with a board certified and experienced Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon will answer that question with a reasonable degree of certainty.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar Tissue Following Removal of Nasal Cartilage

+1

The persistent fullness may be secondary to scar tissue or residual cartilage. if it is scar tissue very careful injections of a small amount of Kenalog, a steroid, may be helpful. Scar tissue or cartilage can be excised.

+1

With a history of multiple Rhinoplasty Surgeries, each subsequent Rhinoplasty becomes more difficult with a higher likelihood of post-op scar tissue formation.  You might consider having several in person consultations with experienced Revision Rhinoplasty Surgeons to discuss the pros and cons of further nasal manipulation through Rhinoplasty.