Removal of Brown Spots Before Laser Treatment? (photo)

I have fine lines and brown spots under my eyes. I am considering laser treatment for the wrinkles. 1.Should I try to remove the brown spots under my eyes first to minimise the chance of them becoming worse with laser treatment.If so, how best are they removed? Even if I did remove them could that area still be prone to hyperpigmentation? 2.What kind of laser treatment (and make) would you recommend for the wrinkles? Pain and downtime are no concerns for me but I would go for lower risk options.

Brown spots and fine lines of the eyelids, face treated with Fraxel Dual laser

+1

Without commenting on your specific condition, the Fraxel Dual laser is specifically indicated to help minimize the sundamage of the facial skin that has brown spots and fine lines. There are two different wavelengths in this one laser (so it's called Dual) and each wavelength is used separately. The 1550nm. helps treat the deeper dermal lines and the 1927nm. wavelength helps reduce the brown spots. Other lasers, such as the Fraxel Repair, fractional CO2 (carbon dioxide)  laser, can address both as well but the down time and risks are greater than with the Fraxel Dual. The Fraxel Dual laser or Fraxel Restore usually require more than one treatment but the down time is less than that of the CO2 laser.  There are other devices including IPL, Portrait Plasma, chemical peels that are considered when evaluating the best treatment for facial resurfacing.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs

Removal of Brown Spots Before Laser Treatment?

+1

Brown spots and red spots are best treated with a Fotofacial ( also known as Intense Pulsed Light "IPL" or Broad Band Light "BBL").  A chemical peel may help fade these also.  Fine line wrinkles in the skin may improve with laser peels or chemical peels.  In our office, you would get an BBL treatment for brown spots and a laser peel with both a refuracing mode and a fractionated mode.  Your upper eyelid area would be treated with Ulthera to tighten the forehead area and raise the brow and upper eyelid.  Best wishes!!

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

Removing brown spots and wrinkles

+1

I would alternate the use of an intense pulse light or broad band light treatment (targetting flat brown spots, redness and fine blood vessels) with laser resurfacing (e.g. ProFractional laser) which would target better the fine lines and wrinkles. Combining the 2 laser treatments (e.g. 3-4 of each) will give you a terrific result in experienced and highly trained hands (e.g. a dermatologist's office). 

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Hello

+1

For wrinkles under your eye you can do Blepharoplasty that gets rid of the wrinkles and unwanted fat. For your brown spot you can do Laser Resurfacing and Profractional laser to help with skin tightening and brown spots. They are both able to be done at the same time and the down time is not bad. It actually looks worst then it feels. By 2 weeks you are able to wear makeup. You should do some research on Profractional laser with Micro laser peel and blepharoplasty (lid lift). Our website is full of information to help you decide what is better for you.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS