Removal of Areolar Tissue Left Behind After Reduction?

During my breast reduction 15 years ago, my surgeon left behind some areolar tissue. The scars themselves are flat and white and barely noticeable, but there's some pigmentation on either side of the vertical incisions. Could these areas be removed surgically? If so, what's the procedure, cost, recovery, etc.? How long till the new scars fade to white like my original scars? Given that my original breast reduction was covered by insurance, is it possible a scar revision would be too?

Scar revision is not covered by insurance

+2
At 15 years postop, the scars do not fulfill criteria for functional necessity and revision would not be covered by your insurance company. It takes a full year for a scar to fully heal. The good news is that you scarred well from the breast reduction and that is a good indicator. Excision and closure of the areas affected can be performed under local anesthesia in an office facility. In terms of costs and recovery, without a photo to see the length of the scars and their exact location, it would be impossible to venture an estimate. See a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person consultation. Best of luck.

Residual Areola Pigmented Skin after Breast Reduction?

+1

The area of residual areola pigment that you describe is sometimes seen after breast reduction or breast lifting surgery. This area of residual pigmented skin may be excised in the future ( most cases) when there is enough tissue laxity present.

Of course, precise advice would require direct examination.

Scar revision with areola skin in scar

+1

Sometimes because of the size of the areola( being very large), part of the vertical closure contains portions of the areola. This can often be excised at a later time. You should go for a consultation to be evaluated.  Insurance will not cover this.