Removal of 40yr Old Ruptured Silicone Imp for 80 Year Old-nobreast Tissue Left from Fibroc

I had most of breast tissue removed in 1970 from fibrocystic breast disease -at that time everything was yanked -had silicone implants - over time they calcified but no problems - last year I had a really rough mammogram and the left one ruptured - painful with huge hard knots - I am 80 years old and don't require replacements at my age - my internal med doc said they must come out and I am scheduled for a ultra sound at breast clinic next week complications have me worried -I am 80 yrs betty d

80 year old with implants

+2

You and your internist are correct, they should be removed.  They likely will have scar that needs removal and your plastic surgeon will need drains.  A frank conversation about the outcome should be had.  Best wishes

Removing Ruptured Silicone Breast Implants

+2

Given that you mention that it is painful with hard, huge knots, the simplest thing to do is to remove the implants as well as the capsule. You must be medically cleared for surgery of course, and although age becomes a risk factor, for otherwise healthy patients undergoing breast implant removal, age is not in and of itself a contraindication to having surgery.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Babak Dadvand, MD

What is involved in Removing ? leaking Silicone Breast Implants in an 80 year old woman

+2

Regarding: "Removal of 40yr Old Ruptured Silicone Imp for 80 Year Old-nobreast Tissue Left from Fibroc
I had most of breast tissue removed in 1970 from fibrocystic breast disease -at that time everything was yanked -had silicone implants - over time they calcified but no problems - last year I had a really rough mammogram and the left one ruptured - painful with huge hard knots - I am 80 years old and don't require replacements at my age - my internal med doc said they must come out and I am scheduled for a ultra sound at breast clinic next week complications have me worried -I am 80 yrs
"

From your description, you had undergone an operation which is no longer in vogue - a Subcutaneous Mastectomy with Silicone Breast Implants. The operation was THOUGHT to have prevented breast cancer but this proved not to be the case when compared to the amount of complications it caused.

With this in mind, you need to decide what you want. You need to look inside of you and NOT blindly obey the advice of a non-Plastic surgeon. The original Subcutaneous Mastectomy operation left you only thin layers of breast skin and fat (in Surgicalese- flaps) which surely were further thinned by having the implants for 40 years. Removing the implants and associated scarring would probably require a surgery close to mastectomy, leaving you with oblique scars across your chest. While deforming, it will remove scars and implants and MAY be a solution if you are bothered by pain and or fear of cancer. You must be in good health to have this operation.

I would NOT waste my time and money with an ultrasound. It will not show anything a Plastic surgery would act upon. If you wanted to see if you have a ruptured implant on the OTHER side or any signs of cancer, the test to have would be a MRI (or MRA magnetic resonance angiogram) which would pick even small tumors, differentiate them from scar and readily demonstrate a silicone implant leak.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Removal of 40 year old ruptured breast implants.

+2

At the age of 80 it is not clear that these implants must come out. Are they causing a problem such as pain, granulomas or any other medical problem. A patient is not likely to die because  ruptured implants are in the breast pockets but they may have problems with the surgery and anesthesia.

You need to speak with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon regarding the need to have these implants removed and how that would be in your best interest.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

If implant is known to be ruptured it should be removed

+1

If you have an implant that is known to be ruptured, especially on made between 1978 and 1999 then it should be removed.  If not the silicone can cause granulomas under the skin and possible infections. . 

Removal of Ruptured Breast Implants

+1

Removal of the breast implants will be in your best interest. A full medical workup prior to the procedure is indicated.  You will find that the procedure and recovery should be relatively straightforward.

Removing breast implants

+1

Implant removal is routinely done and is a safe procedure.  After the surgery, you may need a lift to restore the shape to the breasts.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Breast implant removal after 40 years

+1

The breast implants can be removed, though as you are older than most, medical clearance and coordination with you family doctor is essential. The implants are most certainly ruptured and the capsule will have to be removed for the breast as well. Actually replacement poses little increase risk, and we have had several patients in the 80's have a modest implant placed so clothing fits. Nothing says you can't have an implant back.

peterejohnsonmd

Removal of rupture silicone breast implant

+1

The procedure for removing your implant(s) is actually pretty straightforward; the only increased risk is your age.  My recommendation is to undergo full medical clearance before moving forward to make sure that these risks are understood and any increase managed before your surgery.

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant rupture and removal response

+1

Clearly your age makes slight difference in the overall risks of anesthesia and this should be fully evaluated pre-operatively.Removal of the implant is relatively easy but any involved breast tissue should be removed as well.