How Can We Get Permanent Relief from Chronic Urticaria?

how can we get relieve from cronic urticaria permanently?

Natural Rememdies May Help

+1

Chronic urticaria can be quite a challenge, because it is difficult to find out what is actually causing the urticaria.  The trick is, once you find what is causing it and eliminate that trigger, you've got the urticaria solved.  Sometimes it is from a low grade infection somewhere in the body.

I have had patients resolve their chronic urticaria by addressing digestive issues.  I recommend 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a small galss of water before each meal.  You should also get digestive enzymes from the health food store.  There is a homeopathic rememdy for urticaria, called urtica urens.  Traditional medicine often does not have the answer for this condition, so I encourage you to look at alternative sources, such as a naturopath or an acupuncturist. 

Burbank Dermatologist

Is it possible to get permanent relief from chronic urticaria?

+1

Most of the time urticaria (hives) and angioedema (deep swellings under the skin) are manifestations of an allergic reaction triggered by medications, foods, infections, certain physical agents like heat, cold, water, sun, other allergens and systemic illnesses. Chronic urticaria is defined as urticaria that persists past six weeks in duration.

Much less often chronic urticaria is caused by an autoimmune disease, that affects mast cells.  These cells are the ones that release histamine that triggers formation of hives.

So the first thing in treatment of chronic urticaria is diagnosis.  The diagnostic work-up includes blood tests, urine, stool to check for parasites, and x-rays of the chest, sinuses and teeth.  A prick or scratch test to test for airborn or food allergens is also in order.

If nothing is found on the workup, then the relief is mostly symptomatic with antihistamines.  There is now a new medication available for the autoimmune urticaria,  Xolair, that may help in some patients.  Sometimes if the urticaria is severe enough, systemic steroids, like prednisone are required, although not for long-term treatment, as they have many side effects.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Chronic Urticaria

+1

Chronic urticaria may be difficult to treat. I typically recommend an evaluation by the allergist to rule out potential precipitants and rule out underlying medical conditions that may cause it. I also treat with antihistamines.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon