Release the Depressor Septi Nasi Under Local Anesthesia Thru Mouth or Inside Nose?

Hello,When I smile I have a droopy tip. There are other things about my nose that I am unsatisfied with but do not want a rhinoplasty because I am afraid I will not like the result. I was wondering if it is possible to release the depressor septi nasi under local anesthesia thru an incesion inside the mouth or nose and if it would be risky. Level of difficulty for a surgeon. Thank you!

Transoral dissection and transposition of the depressor septi nasi muscle

+1
If the only concern you have with your nose is an overactive depressor septi nasi muscle, then transoral (through the mouth) dissection and transposition of the depressor septi nasi muscle can be performed under local anesthesia. It is common for patients with an overactive depressor septi nasi muscle to also have a shortened upper lip and horizontal crease during smiling; in some cases there may be a tethered, shortened appearance of the upper lip. The transoral approach can also help to correct these problems and increase fullness of the upper lip. It you are planning to have rhinoplasty, the depressor septi nasi muscles can be release through a transnasal (through the nose) approach. However, the transnasal approach has less effect on lengthening and untethering the upper lip if this is also required.

+1

Dear Roze,

Thank you for your question.  Yes, this is possible.  I release the muscle from inside the mouth as I feel this is less painful and no external scars.  The worst part is the injection.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1

It can be done either way under local anesthesia and is not very challenging. 

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Release of the depressor septi ligament under local anesthesia

+1

It is possible to perform a release of the depressor septi ligament Under local anesthesia. The procedure is performed through the nose   where a small incision is made at the base of the columella  and the release is performed. The  local anesthetic injections in the nose will be somewhat uncomfortable  due to  lots of nerve endings in this area