Is This a Rejection or Just a Minor Thing?

I had a chin implant done in South Africa. It was done extra orally, and no antibiotics were given. I then flew to australia and moved into a house. I bumped it a few times, now there is an angry, red knot in the incision. It looks great and I would hate to lose it. What can I do?

Red Bump after Chin Implant

+2

If the implant looks good and feels fine, then you probably just have an issue along the incision.  A red tender bump may be a localized infection surrounding one of the stitches under the skin.  If that's the case, it can simply be opened and  antibiotics added to allow it to completely heal.  You need to see your doctor to be sure, as a localized infection could spread to the implant. 

Possibly infected chin implant

+2

It might be worthwhile to see if a course of antibiotics might clear things up. It not, the implant can be removed and replaced after 6-12 weeks. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after chin implant

+2

How long ago was the chin implant placed?  If it was very recent, I would recommend being evaluated by a physician in person to make sure that you do not have an infection.  It's possible the redness is just due to healing of the incision, but it's safer to be checked out to make sure it's nothing worse.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Redness does not necessarily indicate an infection, but it should be ruled out with an exam.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Chin augmentation and infection or extrusion

+1

It would be hard to determine whether an extrusion is imminent without an examination.  I would speak to a plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns.  I have performed many chin implants and have found them to have long term satisfaction and lifespan. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS