Will Getting Regular Botox Injections Lead to Long Term Results?

I am 35 and have a few fine lines around the eyes and more noticeable wrinkles in my forehead.

Is there any benefit to getting Botox in my forehead and around my eyes then letting it completely wear off and then waiting another month or 2 before getting more? It is a pretty expensive habit and I am wondering if this will help at all for long term wrinkle prevention.

Best to have repeat Botox injections on a timely basis

+3

Thanks for your question. I think most physician users of Botox agree that it is best not to wait long periods after the effects of Botox has worn off before receiving another injection. It is better to have the repeat injections while you still can observe some the effects of Botox, with targeted muscle weakening still present. I must also stress the importance of good skin care to further retard the effects of aging! Use good sunscreens and topical anti-oxidants!

I hope you find this helpful!

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Long-term results possible with regular Botox injections

+2

I personally have been getting Botox injections to the #11 lines between my eyebrows for over 4 years. Frankly, it looks better now than when I started, and I believe that by avoiding the "peaks and valleys" of letting it wear off, you can actually get some atrophy of the muscles which cause the wrinkles.

So, in summary, indeed I do think that there is long term benefit of regular Botox injections. As with all medical issues, you should discuss this with your personal physician for their advice.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Let your wallet help you decide

+2

No one really knows the long-term cosmetic benefit of continuous Botox use. There have not been any good research studies to show a cumulative benefit. There is some evidence, however, that redosing Botox before it has completely worn off will lead to longer term, more effective wrinkle reduction. But does getting Botox continuously for 20 years make a difference? Again, no one knows.

If you are having financial difficulty acquiring Botox, then don't obtain it. Go back to the basics of good skin care that everyone should follow: Hydration, healthy diet, regular exercise, limit sun exposure, avoid smoking, adequate sleep, stress reduction. These basic guidelines are the fundamentals of good care, and inexpensive too. Your skin will ultimately look better 20 years from now by following these basics, than by regular Botox injections alone.

There is no known harm to long-term use of Botox Cosmetic. Repeated Botox Cosmetic injections every few months may be too expensive for many individuals. How you balance the cosmetic benefit versus the cost will depend on your financial situation, and is a personal decision. Speak to your plastic surgeon or dermatologist about long-term benefit of Botox.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Benefits of Regularly Timed Botox Injections Versus "Poor Man's Botox"

+2

Hi Momo,

Studies have shown that after two years of denervation, muscles atrophy (get smaller, weaker). The muscles that are causing your lines, if continuously treated with Botox for two years, will also atrophy and not be as likely to create wrinkles.

There are some added benefits of continuously treating with Botox including improved tone, texture, and pores. Michael Kane, MD of NYC presented his findings last year on this subject at the Aesthetic Show.

As far as expense goes, there is always "Poor Man's Botox", which involves growing out your bangs.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Let your wallet be you guide.

+2

Everything about cosmetic surgery is a balancing act between cost and down time. There is no evidence that one ages more or less slowly by maintaining the BOTOX effect. You should be guide by what is financially comfortable. So if you pass by a mirror and notice that your BOTOX is not working as much as it did in the past, there is no harm in putting off retreatment until it is financially comfortable to be retreated.

Since your wrinkles are so few, why not try a low dose of botox and go in for treatments...

+1

at regular intervals...for long term wrinkle reduction/prevention most doctors would advise to keep up with a regular program...but there's nothing inherently wrong with waiting...but for long term, smoother, unwrinkled skin it seems that maintenance is a key issue...but any treatment will keep the wrinkles/lines from forming versus no treatment at all...

Ken Landow, MD

Early use of Botox prevents deep etched lines.

+1

Hi.

If lines are treated with Botox on a regular basis, they tend to remain more superficial.  Once the lines are "carved" into the skin, then relaxing the muscles with Botox will not erase the lines, and you need Restylane, laser resurfacing, or other treatments.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Botox and long term results

+1

I have found that if patients present regularly (every 3-4 months) for Botox treatments, there results are better and they avoid the deep etching lines that I see in many patients that have waited years to come in for their first treatment.

Does Botox Last Longer if I Do it Regularly?

+1

Hi Momof2lilones. We have found that our patients that have Botox injected very consistently every 3-4 months have an easier time maintaining their results. In patients that come sporadically, they can expect the results to be gone after 3-4 months. For those that come consistently, when they come at 3-4 month intervals, they are just starting to see their results slip.

We believe the reason for this is that when the muscles that cause wrinkles are consistently relaxed from the Botox, they atrophy (or shrink from lack of use). Because these wrinkles are caused by muscle movement, the visibility of these wrinkles lessen as the muscles weaken with repeated Botox use.

The bottom line is that our patients that are consistent users of Botox end up holding onto their results the longest and this is a compelling reason to stay consistent. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Regular Botox will give long-lasting results

+1

Regular Botox decreases the stress on the skin and can help prevent dermal atrophy which results in static wrinkles. However, regular Botox may also increase atrophy of the muscles in which it is injected. This can be a good think or a bad thing depending on how you look at it.

David Shafer, MD