Regret Sliding Genioplasty

I had a sliding genioplasty done 5 days ago. Right now my face looks acromegalic and my chin is overprojected. I am so concerned about my looks and I am wondering if a partial reversal would be required and how soon it should be attempted. Please help. I'm utterly distressed.

Wait for a few more weeks before worrying : ) !

+3

Dear toysrus,

Chin edema after sliding genioplasty is quite common and, in most cases, you should expect to have the chin appear larger at this point.  After 6 weeks, you will have a much better idea about the final result, but I would not rush into any revision surgery for a year or so.  It takes a sometimes excruciatingly long time for swelling in the face to resolve.  Try to be patient and stay in close contact with your surgeon.

Good luck!

Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Concern over early sliding genioplasty result

+2

Only 5 days from sliding genioplasty surgery, I would expect a significant amount of swelling of the face/jaw/chin. It will take several weeks for the majority of the swelling to resolve. It will be several months before you get a good idea of your final result.

Give it time and be sure to express your concerns with your surgeon. Your surgeon can give you an even better idea of how you're progressing.

Regards,

TAL

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Patience, Patience with Sliding Genioplasty

+2

5 days out you should be concerned if your chin does not look over-projected.  This is going to take time.  At three weeks, you will have a good sense of the appearance but it won't be until 6 months before you get  your final result.  Some times the hardest part of the surgery is the patience after the procedure.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sliding genioplasty and Swelling

+2

This is a very common conern. Any bone surgery of the face and paticularly the jaws produces massive swelling that will resolve. Take a deep breath and try not to look to closely or be too critical for a minimum of 3 weeks. Keep in close contact with your surgeon for support.

5 days is too early to judge your results after genioplasty

+2

5 days is too early to judge your results after genioplasty. Right now you are going to have a tremendous amount of swelling. You have to wait at least a week and up to a month for it to really look good. Generally, I tell people that you will have 60% of your healing at 6 weeks, 80% at 6 months and the rest occurs up to 2 years later. So be patient. It will get better and most of the time things can be changed back to the way they were or altered a bit. I personally prefer chin augmentation to genioplasty. Chin augmentation is generally, through many studies, associated with less complications than genioplasty. These complications can include, nerve damage, a step off deformity, bone loss, problems with the implants or titanium plates and screws used for the fixation of the chin implant or the genioplasty segment that is advanced.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon