Getting Liposuction on Thighs and Flanks, Will I Regret Not Getting it on my Lower Abdomen?

I am currently scheduled to receive liposuction in my outer thighs an flanks at the same time as a BA, next month. My question is, since I seem to put on weight mostly in my thighs/flanks first, and my lower abdominals second, will I regret not also getting my lower abdominals done? I'm worried I will go through all the pain and work of recovery, only to gain my extra pounds strictly in my belly after recovery and still be uncomfortable in my body. Thoughts?

If it is appropriate, go for it

+2

If you know that the abdomen is a secondary area of diet resistant fat then I would recommend having it done as well.  I do not believe in doing only the lower abdomen, as this leads to some very abnormal and poor results. Liposuctioning the entire abdomen improves skin shrinkage and the overall result.  Doing them all at once will also probably lower the cost of doing the abdomen later on as this is only an add-on procedure.  You will also be healing all at once.  Good luck.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction regrets?

+1
You should treat the areas that bother you and that are clinically reasonable to treat. Your board certified plastic surgeon can help with this decision and appropriateness of treating a specific area. If you do gain weight or adiposity in the lower abdomen after your procedure, you can always have additional liposuction performed in the future.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction whole torso?

+1

You should discuss this with your plastic surgeon. If your abdomen could stand improvement with liposuction, now would be a good time to do it - to make you look and feel better. You should not pursue liposuction of the abdomen to protect against future weight gain there. There is no data to support that areas that do not undergo liposuction will become heavier if other problem areas are suctioned.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

More areas during my liposuction

+1

If you do not have an area of fat on your abdomen that requires fat reduction at the present time, I would not suggest getting liposuction there prophylactically. If you overeat after the liposuction, you will gain fat somewhere else besides the areas treated and it can go to areas where liposuction cannot be done, like inside of your abdomen. So the take home lesson is to stay on a good diet and exercise program after your surgery.

Julio Garcia, MD

Doing too many procedures at once under general anesthesia is not worth the risks!

+1

Liposuction is almost always done on the whole abdomen rather than just the lower abs to get the best results. Upper and lower abdomen and hips(flanks) can be done at 1 procedure under local usually easily and maybe your outer thighs as well.  Doing your breast augs  in one procedure is usually enough. Take your doc's advise on what he/she can do safely.  "Add ons" tend to increase the risks too much especially under gen. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD 

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Abdominal liposuction

+1

If you need liposuction of your abdomen and you are already going under, then you should probaly get it done. But I will caution you doing only the lower abdomen. I have seen patients with that done and they come back wanting the upper abdomen done as well.

Liposuction

+1

This is a very difficult question to answer without seeing any photos.  I don't look at any one part of the body in isolation when considering surgery.  It is best to consider all areas with a goal in mind of creating a beautiful and harmonious result.  Book another consult with your surgeon so they can examine your lower abdomen and make a recommendation to you.

Best regards,

Sanjiv Kayastha, MD

Sanjiv Kayastha, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon