Is It Possible to "Regret" and "Undo" a Nose Job? (photo)

Hi! I'm asian and I have a flat nose. I've been wanting to do a nose job a long time ago but I'm still confused whether I should or not. The main reason is that I'm afraid of all the limitations in activities it can cause and the fact that I need to be cautious and can't rub my nose however I want to later. I'm also afraid that I won't like the outcome. Is it possible to do the nose job and later undo it to get my old nose back if I'm dissatisfied??? Thank you for answering please!

It's very difficult to "undo" a nose job

+2

Based on the photos that you provided, it's understandable to have concern about not liking your post surgical result. The ability to "reverse" rhinoplasty result completely is nearly impossible. If all you have is an implant and you had it briefly, you may have it removed and the nose can go back very similar to the way you were. Without listing your specific concerns it's difficult to discuss exactly what should be done on your nose. Since you might be hesitating about being satisfied with outcome, make sure you take the time to discuss expected outcome with your plastic surgeon.

Best Wishes,

Rhinoplasty and reversibility

+2

Reversing the results of a rhinoplasty 100% is almost impossible.  Certain changes can be reversed such as after an implant is placed.

Depends on the extent of surgery

+2

The ability to reverse surgical changes depends on the extent of the initial surgery and what the surgeon needs to do to achieve the look you are after. There are also many different techniques to achieve the same goal such as for raising the bridge of the nose (to prevent it from looking flat), surgeons can use material fashioned from your own rib cartilage, cadaver rib cartilage, other foreign material from cadavers, man-made materials, or a combination of the above. Using your own cartilage means less likely for rejection, but it can also mean it will be harder to remove later. Using man-made materials always poses for higher chance of rejection but they are more likely to develop a capsule that allows easy removal in the future.

If you are looking at making the tip of your nose more defined, surgery here is harder to reverse. Also, surgery on any part of the body creates scar, especially in such a small area of the body like the nose where a little change can make a huge difference. That being said, it is easier to add to the nose and remove or reverse later than it is to reduce the size or roundness of the nose and reverse those changes later if you don't like it.

I hope that helps you with your concerns.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

It is best not to go into surgery thinking you will want to undo it in the future.  The best is to consult with a specialist who can use computer morphing equipment to communicate with you and be on the same page.  It is best to do this surgery only once.  In general I recommend using your own cartilage and tissue to build up the height of your nose.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Reversing the changes made during rhinoplasty

+1

I think the more appropriate question to worry about is which rhinoplasty surgeon will give you the nose you love.  Even with a minimal rhinoplasty, most changes can not simply be "reversed" to return you to your original nose.  You should approach the surgery as a permanent change, and while a revision is always possible, your nose will change in appearance.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Is it possible to reverse a rhinoplasty?

+1

Rhinoplasty is not something that can just be reversed. When looking to have rhinoplasty surgery, it is best to have your procedure performed only once if possible. It is very important to establish good communication with your surgeon ahead of time so you obtain a result you are happy with. Computer imaging software is a fantastic tool that will allow you to get an idea of how the final result of your surgery may appear. It gives a general idea of what to expect, and the ability to critique and comment on any changes made to your image by your prospective surgeon. The more you know ahead of time, the more likely you are to be happy with the end result. It is important to choose a surgeon you are comfortable with, and a bit of homework is necessary prior to having surgery. You want to look for a surgeon who is board certified, has fantastic patient testimonials, and a wide range of before and after photos that include patients who have made changes similar to the ones you desire. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

It would be difficult to go back.

+1

In most cases of Asian nose surgery, it would be very difficult to reverse the procedure and go back to the way it used to be. That's why spending enough time to understand not only what this procedure can do for you but its potential risks is so important. You should try to avoid being in this situation through a consultation with a well qualified, experienced surgeon, and by knowing other patients' experience. You may even consider seeing two or more doctors to see if they recommend the same. If you are not sure about the procedure at this time, take your time until you feel confident about the surgery.

Eric I. Choe, MD, FACS