Regional Vs General with Tummy Tuck - Which is Safer?

general with multiple procedures combined -vs- regional one procedure less blood loss especially as you cauterize as you go with tummy tuck and muscle tighting(regional does go deep enough for muscle tighting). how is general safer with multiple procedures(mommymake over)than using regional for one procedure (tummy tuck)? the advances that have been made in medicine over the yrs your telling me it cant be done and be done safely and accuratly???

Best Anesthesia for Tummy Tuck

+1

Regional or general anesthesia are both safe alternatives.

I prefer my patients to be completely asleep and have no recollection of the surgery. General anesthesia accomplishes this goal for me, and also allows complete muscle relaxation which I believe helps me sculpt the muscles better. 

My anresthesia doctors have over a decade of experience with my practice, so this works best for me.

Regional vs General for Tummy Tuck

+1

Either type of anesthesia is safe for a Tummy Tuck when performed by a qualified, board certified anesthesiologist. If you wish to have additional breast procedues (as in a mommy makeover), then your only real choice is general anesthesia, as the regional technique would not give you adequate anesthesia for the breast surgery. It is not an issue of one being safer than other, and blood loss should be the same with either. There is a limit to how many procedures can be done safely in surgical setting whatever the choice of anesthesia. 

Braden Stridde, MD
Federal Way Plastic Surgeon

Regional vs. General Anesthesia

+1

I prefer General Anesthesia provided by a board certified plastic surgeon.  

I perform my surgeries in an out patient surgery center, and under general anesthesia only.  I use Board Certified Anesthesiologists  who monitor my patients from start to end so as to provide the safest environment for my patients.  Abdominoplasty is an extensive procedure and I would recommend general anesthesia so that you are as comfortable as possible during the procedure.

I would suggest that you be very careful with your surgeon  selection and experience. Safety should be the first priority in every surgery.

Both regional and general nanesthesia are safe

+1

Although the two techniques are different, one is hard pressed to demonstrate any difference in safety between them.  It usually comes down to the surgeon and anesthia provider preference, as most patients follow the recommendations of their physician.

Probably the biggest draw back of regional anesthesia if the inability (relatively speaking) to anesthetize the chest/breast.  It makes a 'mommy make-over more difficult.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Regional v. General - it's all in the anesthesiologists skill

+1

There is no hard and fast answer for this, and much depends on the surgeon's and the anesthesiologists skill.  I prefer to do mine under general as my anesthesiologist is under no constraint for time.  I have done them under regional (epidural) which also works well, but not if you are doing other procedures like a liposuction or breast augumentation. Discuss it with your doctor and then make a decision.  Good luck from Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Safety of regional vs general anesthesia for tummy tuck

+1

Either epidural with IV sedation or general anesthesia is safe for abdominoplasty. It depends on the surgeon's training and preference. I personally prefer regional (epidural) with IV sedation and I've been doing all my tummy tucks with this technique since 1996. I find it to be extremely safe, no incidence of nauses/vomiting postoperatively, the patient is able to get up in a wheel chair and get into her car 20 minutes after the completion of surgery. With general anesthesia the recovery in the clinic is longer, higher chance for nauses and mentally feeling "cloudy" for a few days. Safety and postoperative comfort is our main goal. I also use a pain pump for the first 3-5 days and inject the muscles with longer lasting local anesthetic before closure of the incision. My patients are able to get up and walk on the day of their surgery.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia options for tummy tuck

+1

We do most of our tummy tucks under genreal anesthesia, which is very safe if done by a qualified anesthesia provider (CRNA nurse anesthetist or MD anesthesiologist) and in an accredited surgical facility. Epidural anesthesia is an option but not any safer and not as convenient. Bottom line is always safety and comfort.

Richard Baxter, MD

General vs. Regional Anesthesia

+1

The great feature of general anesthesia is you feel NO pain whatsoever, and have no sense of time, so you wake up feeling like you just went to sleep, but BOOM! YOUR PROCEDURE IS DONE!  My preference for all major procedures is general anesthesia because I work with outstanding anesthesiologists, and safety is never an issue, it is assumed.  General anesthesia allows total muscle relaxation, facilitating surgical body shaping for the best result.

Steve Laverson, MD