Regarding the derma roller, how many mm is safe to use on face?

Dermaroller Needle Length Depends on Concern

+1
The Dermarollers come in many different sizes. It is important to know what is being treated to properly answer your question. We use up to 2mm on the face for scarring etc. I would recommend home rolling with a .3mm roller to be used along side any in office treatment.

Safe length of needles for micro-needling the face

+1
In my office we routinely use 1.5 mm needles for micro-needling the face. However, we use motorized micro-needling, not the derma roller, for a more even and more effective result. The key to micro-needling is the healing response that this process stimulates. You do not have to penetrate very deeply to reach the keratinocyte, a cell that is in the superficial layers of the skin, to release several key growth factors that facilitate ideal skin rejuvenation.
Because micro-needling has been shown to enhance delivery of topically applied skin care products, we use human growth factor serums combined with micro-needling treatments to get the best results. We have been getting excellent results using the Rejuva Skin Care system which combines motorized micro-needling with RejuvaCells concentrated human growth factor serum. Our patients also use growth factor serum at home after the office treatment.
You can follow the video link above to learn more about micro-needling and human growth factor serums.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon