Complications Regarding Breast Reduction 34 Years Ago?

I had breast reduction 34 years ago and now at age 57 my breasts are large (DD) and have developed bilateral discoloration , ie; mottled bluish/purple alterrnating to red on lower half of breasts bilaterally. I am unable to wear any bra that puts even slightest pressure on ribcage due to rib inflammation process since age 19. Recent mammogram was clear. What could be causing lower breast discoloration? Sorry, I do not have access to download picture. Bellasma

Repeat breast reduction surgery carries all of the risks associated with first-time breast reduction surgery. In addition, the concern would be about potentially compromising blood flow to the nipple areola and other breast tissue ( given your history of previous breast surgery). After 30 years, these risk would be very small.

Some of the risks/potential complications associated with breast reduction surgery include: infection, bleeding, seroma, hematoma, wound healing problems, abnormal scarring ( hypertrophic or keloid), loss of sensation, inability to breast-feed, breast asymmetry, necrosis of tissue or skin, unsatisfactory cosmetic results, unpredictability of exact cup size postoperatively, recurrence of the breast hypertrophy, and the potential for further surgery. other risks related to surgery in general include deep venous thrombosis (clots), pulmonary embolism, pneumonia and even death.
The vast majority of patients who undergo repeat breast reduction surgery by well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons and board certified anesthesiologists do very well and complications tend to be relatively minor and treatable.

Breast discoloration 34 years after reduction

Thank you for the question. It would be difficult to give you an answer without in person consultation. It is very unusual complaints and not sure if it could be related to your beast reduction. My advice for you is to see a plastic surgeon in your area.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD