Will I Regain Sensation in Tip of my Nose After Cartilage Used to Redefine Tip?

A month ago, I had rhinoplasty where ear cartilage was used to sharpen the tip of my nose. It's been a month after surgery and I have no sensation when I touch the tip of my nose. Is this temporary cos of swelling or will I never regain sensation in that area?

The Decrease in Sensation After a Rhinoplasty is Normal and Will Improve Over Time

+1

The numbness you are experiencing is normal and is due to a combination of swelling and to a natural decrease in sensation that occurs near incisions. The incisions you had around the tip of your nose (whether inside or out) cut some of the very fine nerves that course through the skin. This temporarily decreases the sensation to the area. Over time, new nerves will grow back through and around the incisions and reconnect, to increase the sensation. As the swelling in the tip of the nose decreases, the sensation will improve as well. The good news is that what you are feeling is normal and should slowly improve over a period of months. Hang in there and good luck.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sensation after Rhino?

+1

You should regain feeling in your tip over time. It could take 6-12 months for this to occur. It will also take that long for the scar to mature and soften so be very patient with your results. It takes a lot of time to get to that final product. I find the hardest thing for my Rhinoplasty patients is to give things as much time as they need before judging their result. I measure healing for this type of procedure in months to years, not days to weeks.

Tip Sensation

+1

Thankfully the nasal tip has many local sensory input options as your twelve month healing time progresses.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal sensation after rhinoplasty

+1

Often the nasal tip loses sensation after rhinoplasty surgery. This usually gets better with time.  It is a bit early.

Sensation in the nasal tip after rhinoplasty

+1

The tip is the last area to soften and regain sensation after rhinoplasty surgery.   The anatomy of this area is unique that way.  It may take up to a year in some cases...and requires patience.

Kahului Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and loss of sensation

+1

The question you as is a very good one. It is not uncommon to have loss of sensation in this area after surgery. This is temporary and is most often related to swelling and the general trauma of the surgery. The nasal tip is the last area to loose swelling after a rhinoplasty procedure. It can take months, but it will be fine.

Be healthy and be well,

James M. Ridgway, MD

Web reference: https://www.larrabeecenter.com